PDA

View Full Version : Nova 2.0l 8v no go...

chimp007_uk
22-01-08, 04:44 PM
hi all,

i put a post up before christmas about my 2litre 8valve nova that just stopped working one day... turns over fine, and there's fuel getting through. as i hadn't had the car long (a week) i fitted a new coil and crank sensor but still nothing, bought a ecu and air mass meter from a working car and still nothing...

i have noticed that under the dash i can hear a relay ticking... it looks like its from the 2litre loom. i can see the same relay on my deaded gte.

anyone got any ideas? i'd have thought that it would stay shut with the ignition on!?! however i hate electrics...

cheers guys
chris

5T1G
22-01-08, 05:20 PM
Stupid question i know, but are you getting a spark? Take off the HT leads from the coil to the Dizzy and test against a suspension mount. If your getting a spark there repeat the procedure on one of the HT leads going to the spark plug.

What condition are the spark plugs in?

Did it cut out while driving or just decide to play hard ball and not start one day?

If your getting fuel you only need a spark and she'll run!

5T1G
22-01-08, 05:21 PM
Another thing, has car got alarm or more importantly an imoboliser (spl)

chimp007_uk
22-01-08, 06:09 PM
basically, i would drive the car and at 5k the car would die... then one day it jsut wouldn't start.

origianlly there was an intimitant spark. so changed the coil. i got my bro to check the spark as its a joint car, and he said there was a spark.

so changed the crank position sensor, and now the ecu and air mass meter... still nothing.

going to check the spark and everything again on thurs. but i'm getting fed up! just wondered about the relay, as it is constantly tickign during cranking.

no alarm or immobiliser

5T1G
22-01-08, 06:28 PM
Hmmm, it definatley sounds electrical. Check inside the dizzy cap at the condition of the rotor arm. It should be a copper colour, it there is any dis-colourisation i.e green **** sand/file this down to reveal the copper colour again. Check inside the actual dizzy cap where there should be 4 points (where the HT leads join the dizzy cap) and check the condition of them for the sam symptoms. It'll take all of 5mins and it's free!

I'd check that your getting a spark as from what you've said it sounds like this is the issue.

Relay wise i couldn't say, if you've got one in your GTE swap them over and see if that does anything.

it's just a process of elimination with these "bastid" things. I wasn't getting a spark on my RS and damn near replaced everything to do with the ignition which totalled in excess of ?300! to find out that it was the poxy ECU!

chimp007_uk
22-01-08, 06:36 PM
all the ignition is now brand new, dizzy cap, rotor arm leads and plugs.

the relay isn't the same as any that are fitted to the gte, so i cant even swap it. i'll try and get a pic of it and put it on here. its nearly twice teh length of the standard relay.

Philsutton
22-01-08, 06:38 PM
could be relay, if its not on all the time but flicking on an off then its not going to hold fuel pressure, You'll have fuel but not enough which might be why it wouldnt got above 5k. The fuel pump relays are well known for going on vauxhalls. On the 16v's the fuel pump relay also supplies power to the ecu an there is another problem in itself.

Just a thought.

chimp007_uk
22-01-08, 06:43 PM
the fuel pump is controleld via a switch mounted to the dash. so i cant see it being that. but its weird how the relay is turnign on and off when trying to crank the engine...

just vaux trev
22-01-08, 06:51 PM
my fuel pump relay did the same thing when i had a bad earth i put a post up for halp the other day and turned out to be bad earth to engine,

chimp007_uk
22-01-08, 06:58 PM
it wont be the fuel relay, as the fuel pump is going, you can hear it. i'll try and get a pic of this dodgy unknown relay and it might shed some light!

i'll try running a new earth to the engine as well.

Philsutton
22-01-08, 07:02 PM
On the 16v's the fuel pump relay also supplies power to the ecu an there is another problem in itself.

Cant comment on the 8vs but like I said the fuel pump relay doesnt just do fuel pump.

But also check your earths as well.

mikey14sr
22-01-08, 07:54 PM
I'd be checking all the connections for the engine loom whilst there too.

5T1G
25-01-08, 02:30 PM
did you get her going mate?

chimp007_uk
25-01-08, 03:40 PM
haven't had a chance yet... been in derby all day at an interview for jcb as a design engineer
going to give it a go tomorrow. i'll get a pic of the relay as well, and see if anyone can shed some light on it

sr jack
25-01-08, 04:38 PM
to check the spark pull one of the leads off and put it on your tung you should feel a small tingle if its sparking :eek: lol

craig green
25-01-08, 04:40 PM
to check the spark pull one of the leads off and put it on your tung you should feel a small tingle if its sparking :eek: lol

No help! :mad:

Is it injection or carb'd? You say the fuel switch is on the dash, seems odd for an injected motor.

As above, find a spark & give it a good earth from the -ve terminal to rule that out go from there. Problems like this are a pain in the a$$.

Timmy
25-01-08, 07:47 PM
i know this may sound dumb is the battie done up right ?i had same broblems on mine and found i hadn't done the battrie up tight

chimp007_uk
25-01-08, 11:28 PM
the fuel pump is wired through a fused switch in the dash, not my doing. battery is tight, it cranks. goign to check the coil and feeds tomorrow, and run new earths...

i'm getting pee'd off, had the car and week, and then it doesnt go and hasn't been used for 2months now... i'll wip the multimeter out and check everything.

Adam
26-01-08, 02:32 PM
Fuel pump through a switch is a stupid idea.
I would change that now, and get it wired properly to the fuel pump relay.

That way will also till you if the relays working.

chimp007_uk
27-01-08, 08:42 PM
right....
finally got a chance today to have a look. spent yesterday fitting one of the pairs of blue bucket seats i'm selling into my mates mk1 ford cortina. so he was helping me today. saw this on our travels

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/26012008201.jpg

oh yes... a corvette stingray!

so, back tot eh car...
Checked for spart from coil - good spark :thumb:
Spark through all ht leads - good spark :thumb:
checked all connectors - good :thumb:
checked earths - good :thumb:

then i thought if the fuel guage was playing up... so we toddled off to the garage in my mates mk1 cortina... ?6 for 5litre sof fuel!!! thinking that was bad, we were drivign back when the bonnet flew open :eek: couldn't see a thing, luckily no one was behind us and we pulled off the toad and fastened it shut. so then i took a rubber mallet to it, and become a panel beater :D i got it into a perfect shape, but sadly due to the age it's going to need replacing as the damage agrivated a tin worm infestation... and a mk1 cortina bonnet isn't cheap, so trying to talk him into going fibreglass.

anyway, made it back alive...
filled with more fuel

and still nothing!!

i still have this "dodgy" relay... i've taken some pics see if anyone can shed some light!?!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/27012008203.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/27012008207.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/chimp007_uk/27012008206.jpg

chimp007_uk
29-01-08, 12:21 PM
anyone got any ideas?

chimp007_uk
31-01-08, 05:43 PM
it's alive... but running rough... atleast its a start!

just vaux trev
31-01-08, 06:56 PM
me thinks that is the fuel pump relay as fuel pump wires are red with blue trace

chimp007_uk
31-01-08, 07:10 PM
it was the injector relay :)

although, now i think its over fuelling, as its back firing...

red dot racing have said i can put it ont he rollers on the wide band lamda sensor and see how everything is.

just vaux trev
31-01-08, 07:30 PM
what did you get the engine out of/year

chimp007_uk
31-01-08, 09:02 PM
i bought the car as it is, but its the c20seh from a cav sri 130

chimp007_uk
07-02-08, 12:36 PM
right... i'm fecking fed up! got the car running and no it wont start again!! had a mechanic out today who did the same checks as me and still nothing!

Does anyone fancy earning themselves some money? i'm fed up!

meritlover
07-02-08, 01:33 PM
is the cam timing in the correct order?

chimp007_uk
07-02-08, 01:38 PM
yeh, as i said, it was fine one day and not the next...