PDA

View Full Version : nova 1600 turbo

darren milne
21-01-08, 06:11 PM
does anyone know where i can get forged low comp pistons for the 1600se? was going to get them off mvaux but cant find it on the net anymore.also need a couple of doors but live in northern ireland so post no use?thanks

stuartyj21
21-01-08, 07:23 PM
hi darren
welcome to the png, good to see another person from n.ireland on here:thumb:

mowgli
21-01-08, 08:05 PM
KOLBENSCHMIDT list a piston 90054623. it is a 79.5 mm piston at 8.6:1 cr. the engine type is an 16lz kat & only got fitted to an opel. http://www.elringparts.co.uk/ are the importer, they are in gateshead. I hope it is some use to you

darren milne
21-01-08, 10:19 PM
cheers mate fired them off an email couldnt find a phone number

craig green
22-01-08, 03:06 PM
Thats promising.

meritlover
22-01-08, 03:24 PM
there is a better idea to get them imported or ordered from the US of the A as the dollar is very cheap at the moment. there are a lotage of places that do them over there.

alan b
22-01-08, 04:12 PM
^^ dont you have to pay import tax then tho? and i doubt that any american companies list for that enigne, oh an m-vaux are gone!

chimp007_uk
22-01-08, 04:50 PM
you can get round import tax, by having them sent as a present... or asking them to kindly send the reciept separate to the parts.

Stuart
22-01-08, 05:19 PM
import tax on a set of pistons (if you could get some for the 1.6 from the states) would be about ?20-30, so next to naff all really

darren milne
23-01-08, 08:37 PM
still waiting on email back,cant find american ones to suit.was thinking maybe get custom ones made!

Mike
23-01-08, 08:39 PM
TBH, you'll only need low comps if your planning on being silly with the boost and/or driving like a fool. You treid speaking to Cosworth Re: Piston Size's, or the likes of Burton Power etc etc

If its bhp bragging rights your after get a LET or XE and be done with it ;)

craig green
24-01-08, 09:16 AM
Or do it the prper way & use low comp pistons...... using a spacer & 2 gaskets doesnt do the cam timing any good.

meritlover
24-01-08, 09:18 AM
2 gaskets only introduces an extra 2 points of leak and causes weaknesss. if you use a copper head gasket you may suceed but it is a poor reliable. and they weep like grandma.

craig green
24-01-08, 09:21 AM
It was fine on mine, but when it started to run lean. Thats the first place its going to pop, which arguably is better than holing pistons. However I expect piston crowns can take more abuse than a stack of gaskets.

I'd just sooner be using the proper pistons than any other method.

If these pistons turn out to be readily available at a reasonable price, I'll build another 8vT.

meritlover
24-01-08, 09:22 AM
still waiting on email back,cant find american ones to suit.was thinking maybe get custom ones made!

that is what i suggested in the first place. all custom pistons fit. becuse they are CUSTOM to your requirement.
you must tell him that you are wanting to use them for turboing as he may make a changes to ring land placement and small end bracing. if you simply ask for a low comp piston for a 1600 they may just skim the crown of a more std variant. which is not good for you. but id like to think that by the compression ratio you quote the manufaturr would figure its a turbo engine.

meritlover
24-01-08, 09:23 AM
I'd just sooner be using the proper pistons than any other method.

agreemet
i didnt say 2 gaskets was not the way. i just meant that it is not the best way.