PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler

Dod
21-01-08, 04:29 PM
I got an oil cooler from a GSi Cav I've broken and want to fit it into my Nova. Its a C16XE Corsa GSi Engine. now, obviously it doesnt have the correct fittings for the Cooler and so a special plate is needed. WHere can i get one from?

Adam
21-01-08, 04:44 PM
Ebay sell them, a takeoff plate for the oil filter.

Be aware tho that unless its a high revving permanent track engine, a coolers not really needed.

meritlover
21-01-08, 04:54 PM
ensure the take off plate has a thermostat or bypass or it will over cool the oil and lead you to having an engine that is of much brokenness and excellerated wearings in your bearings.

please.

Dod
21-01-08, 05:07 PM
Wow, I actually never considered that. Thanks!!

meritlover
21-01-08, 05:09 PM
you are very very welcome Dod, i am just pleased to know there is now going to be another very happy nova engine on the road.
perhaps the Cav still has the parts you require? iam not a cav man and cannot help you further im afraid.

be happy!
please

Dod
21-01-08, 06:44 PM
Yeah, all the parts aside from the sandwich plate are there for me.

Stuart
21-01-08, 07:32 PM
Ebay sell them, a takeoff plate for the oil filter.

Be aware tho that unless its a high revving permanent track engine, a coolers not really needed.

agreed with that man! no real need for a cooler at all as it could well lunch your engine

Dod
21-01-08, 07:51 PM
Aye, but i have it so i may as well fit it. The car is well specced so i see no need not to. Unless its gonna damage the engine. But Meritlovers idea of a thermostat seems to be the way to go. Although, i cant see any listed for the C16XE engine anywhere

djshaggeh
21-01-08, 07:54 PM
What about on an xe? The cali that a friend broke for me had one I believe as there is two pipes coming from the oil filter, I could be totally wrong as it was a standard cali I believe. I want to use my valver as a dailey runner so I'd prefer the engine to be an engine and not 'lunch'!

sorry for thread bump

Stuart
21-01-08, 08:30 PM
Aye, but i have it so i may as well fit it. The car is well specced so i see no need not to. Unless its gonna damage the engine. But Meritlovers idea of a thermostat seems to be the way to go. Although, i cant see any listed for the C16XE engine anywhere

sell the cooler and spend the cash on hoes :D job done.

you could get some of those temp tabs from demon tweeks and see what temperature the sump gets to, if its too hot then yeah chuck the cooler in with an oilistat, but if it dosent then youve not added weight (plus if it never gets warm enough to open the oilstat then the cooler wont do a damn thing

Mike
21-01-08, 08:41 PM
Was just about to say the Cav engine would have defienetly had a sandwich plate fitted if a cooler was fitted

Dod
21-01-08, 09:02 PM
Mmmmmmmm, Hoes it is!! Ah no, i like the idea of it of for nothing else other than the look and the extra item for the Spec list.