PDA

View Full Version : My Mapping Session @ Track n Road (Pics & Vid)

trackdaynova
20-01-08, 02:12 AM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/neocapture/nc0616.jpg

As some know that read my WIP thread, I booked my car in with Steve Greenald & Steve Pitcher @ Track n Road to have a mapping session done.

Alot of people said I was mad travelling so far, over 160 miles on way, nearly 3 hour journey, considering there are plenty of other places more local to me.

I decided to swim against the tide and go with the Steves anyway, and I'm soooo glad I did... their reputation across the forums is absolutlely phenominal and impeccable, and it doesn't stop there!

If anyone is looking at getting their car mapped at all in the future, please do not hesitate in booking it in, or at least give them a call and have a chat about what you want to do, and what your expectations are.

Their contact details are:
Track n Road / www.tracknroad.com (http://www.tracknroad.com) / 01708 869 189

I had booked on the evening slot that they offer which is great convenience for those travelling far, so my session was 6pm-midnight, got their to find Giles (from MIG) on the rollers with his Cavalier, just finishing up having his mapped.

My car was on the rollers by 7pm ish, and that was the start of a long ear piercing X hours lol

I cannot get over just how thorough these guys are when they're mapping, the slightest of hesitations, or glitches they they're not quite happy with - they'll work on until it's perfect.

After JB making the teas lol, we were underway, and I was wondering around with my camcorder as I do, and the odd photo here and there, also showing alot of interest how in depth mapping really is.

After the first run, it had made 197.7bhp and with being so close to the big 200, Steve altered the Ign Adv to see if it'd make any difference, and the second power run came back with 197.3bhp, now if that isn't consistancy then I don't know what is! :thumb:

I was over the moon by this point, I went with the hope of getting 190bhp, 165whp, and 145lbft, and all of my expectations have been exceeded!

Final figures are:

197.7 bhp @ 7620 rpm
174.1 whp @ 7620 rpm
147.9 lbft @ 6496 rpm

Very happy moreso with my wheel horse power with the help of the straight cut box not sapping as many ponies as the previous standard F20 did! :)

Here is a compilation video, very similar to my White Nova mapping session video, its 5m 37s long, and I hope you enjoy watching it.

Thanks for reading

Olly

Mapping Session Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRk892g6X3I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRk892g6X3I)

other uploaded videos here: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=trackdaynova&p=r (http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=trackdaynova&p=r)

dhdev (Oli)
20-01-08, 02:28 AM
Awesome results Olly.
Gearbox losses aren't too dissimilar to my standard F13, I made 193bhp 7977rpm (Fly) and 168 (wheels).
If and when I need mapping doing, I will definately be making the journey. :thumb:

Stuart
20-01-08, 09:15 AM
they also happen to have one of THE most accurate dynos of the "tuning" world.... so much so a certain big blue oval uses them for exact power figures lol

MK1-GTE
20-01-08, 09:34 AM
thats a good result mate bet you well chuffed .....:)

John
20-01-08, 11:04 AM
Excellent stuff olly, gearbox sounds ear piercingly sweet.

meritlover
20-01-08, 11:19 AM
you have a very nice engine Mr trackdaynova. may i ask what management you are using??

please

nova ian
20-01-08, 11:32 AM
Good stuff Olly, as I already said you've created a monster! Love it.

Timmy
20-01-08, 12:00 PM
thats cool,

trackdaynova
20-01-08, 12:12 PM
meritlover - I'm using MBE management on a 967 ECU

Thanks all for the comments, for those that want to save the video (as I don't think you can on YouTube)

14.7mb, Right Click, Save As... CLICK TO DOWNLOAD VIDEO (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver.hewitt/TnRMappingVideo.wmv)

Adam
20-01-08, 12:24 PM
Awesome stuff Olly, sounds great in the vid.

Ive noticed that they have a different to the norm roller setup, its only like a single roller, instead of the car sitting inbetween two rollers....

Stoo
20-01-08, 12:35 PM
every credit to you olly

youve built an aw3esome car!

not get out there and enjoy it!

stu

Lee
20-01-08, 12:38 PM
As I said in my text.. good skills mate :) Thats by no means a shy figure considering your spec!!

Dan
20-01-08, 01:21 PM
good results, as regards the time you travelled its by no means a long way to get what you was after. when i initially had my engine setup by velos i used to travel 2 1/2 hrs or so to get to them so was in a similar boat. I knew the journey was worth it after trying so many muppets locally who couldnt even tune a whistle lol lol lol

Paul
20-01-08, 04:17 PM
I had my SR set up there, once upon a time!

Nice results!

Stuart
20-01-08, 04:26 PM
Awesome stuff Olly, sounds great in the vid.

Ive noticed that they have a different to the norm roller setup, its only like a single roller, instead of the car sitting inbetween two rollers....

single roller = one point of contact on the tyres = less loss

craig green
20-01-08, 04:35 PM
Great result Ollly. Will have to watch the vid another time however.

peester
20-01-08, 05:30 PM
wow that grunt of the 'bodies and whine of the 'box..

Top result. Really has gone nice and easy for you mate, the whole project.

BRoadGhost
20-01-08, 06:13 PM
single roller = one point of contact on the tyres = less loss

That would be true if the two roller versions used the same size rollers as the single ones…

Sounds all good ~ Have fun out on track.

tony k
20-01-08, 09:02 PM
i got my car setup there years ago my 1.3 sr with twin 40s when they was down chequers lane (pot hole city) they were the days ha ha will be going up there when mines finally up and runing my mates have been going to steve pitcher for years now the man knows his stuff good results there fella engine sounds awsome

CP
20-01-08, 09:21 PM
Nice one - great figures should you give you enough to keep you busy out on track:thumb:

trackdaynova
21-01-08, 03:43 PM
Thanks all, for the nice comments :)

craig green
21-01-08, 05:10 PM
No excuse for being whupped by a smallblock now......

..........apart from one with higher power!

kevster
21-01-08, 06:26 PM
nice !!

krobinson
21-01-08, 07:04 PM
Excellent Figures Olly, i'm sure thats an absolute monster now!

djshaggeh
21-01-08, 07:39 PM
yeh, stonking figures mate!

Cool video too, you must have had a bad headache after that.

I want your engine but i'll settle for the whole car :)

trackdaynova
21-01-08, 08:51 PM
lol ace!

seriously happy with the car, been out in it tonight, just everything is perfect, starts from cold, very smooth running/ revving.

strange, but fantastic having peak power so high, on my white nova, after 6.2k it felt like it was just revving high, for the sake of revving high, as that was the peak power.

with this one, it seems that its constantly on tap right upto redline, well, it is, all but 150rpm lol

craig green
21-01-08, 08:54 PM
How much are track & road paying you for the sig?

trackdaynova
21-01-08, 08:58 PM
lol nothing, i just really feel that there are alot of other companies out there that aren't as good, but probably charging loads more than Track n Road do.

just doing them a favour, thats all, a great pair of guys - who are genuinely interested in what they do

Jonlem
21-01-08, 09:50 PM
lol nothing, i just really feel that there are alot of other companies out there that aren't as good, but probably charging loads more than Track n Road do.

just doing them a favour, thats all, a great pair of guys - who are genuinely interested in what they do

:thumb:

djshaggeh
21-01-08, 11:10 PM
who are genuinely interested in what they do

always a good sign of good quality workmanship

i'd love to have a job like that and learn that kinda knowledge

nova_niek
22-09-08, 02:03 PM
Bit late to reply but never mind that. Olli, I second your experience with the Steves.

Brought my Nova over to the Steves back in 2003 to get her sorted. For anyone to travel across the channel just to get a mapping session session done should tell something. Needless to say it was well worth it.

Admitted, no one in Holland knows MBE units so I kind of had no options, but I decided to do business with TnR instead of going to SBD or any of the others. Think it was Lee He****y who recommended them.

Excellent service and enough cups of tea to keep me happy. Top guys.

Cheers,
Niek

trackdaynova
22-09-08, 03:11 PM
Never too late to reply to such a raving review for a company!

I forgot to add this, but recently I had to call the Steves, a few months on from when they mapped my car, and they remembered me, my car, engine and power output figure and was able to answer my question all over the phone, without an hesitation.

I think that is cracking service, as alot of companies wouldn't want to know once you've left the premises and had your money... so a cracking result.

I musta been on the phone to them for about 25 mins chatting away, well, it was Steve doing all the chatting, and not once did I feel as if I had interupted their working day, to which I probably had!

Great to hear you had good experiences too, I cannot recommend them enough :) :thumb:

http://www.tracknroad.com/ for those interested, for every mapping need!

Pistol Pete
22-09-08, 03:33 PM
Good result for your car. And sounds like a good company to deal with. A rare thing these days it seems.

Count Vaux Alot
25-09-08, 08:28 PM
Hello matey! Just thought i'd add a work or two to this and say that i now have had first hand experience of this car and all i can say it is a testament to all involved especially Olly for the work he has carried out and to the chaps at track and road who have clearly done an awsome job with the set up so much so i will be using them for my next RR tune as the last was less than satisfying top job!

Paul
26-09-08, 12:08 PM
I followed suit also and had mine mapped there.

I have to be perfectly honest when I say that I didnt quite see eye to eye with Mr.Pitcher before I went there. Thanks to a trip down to his to book it in, his attitude wasn't right and came across to me the wrong way.

However, when I went down to have th car mapped, both were very nice + helpful explaining what they were doing etc. I have to be honest, when it made only 246bhp due to the turbo not prodcuing enough boost I was gutted. However when I got it on the road and actually gave it some proper abuse it feels absoloutely superb.

The mapping is spot on. I use this as a weekend car, so everytime I drive it, I drive ti hard. Not one problem, never missed a beat! A credit to T n R!

Will be going back there once I get a different turbo.

Paul
26-09-08, 12:09 PM
Just thought i'd add a work or two to this and say that i now have had first hand experience of this car and all i can say it is a testament to all involved especially Olly for the work he has carried out and to the chaps at track and road who have clearly done an awsome job with the set up so much so i will be using them for my next RR tune as the last was less than satisfying top job!

Longest sentence ever? lol

Jonlem
26-09-08, 05:11 PM
Paul, your not the only one who I have heard say that about Steve but they need to be met before a opinion is made, 2 great guys that know their job VERY well.

They do sing Omex's praises, one of the bext if not the best closed loop lambda setups as well as being a very functional unit

Count Vaux Alot
26-09-08, 05:46 PM
Longest sentence ever? lol

Blow me...! lol lol

trackdaynova
26-09-08, 05:48 PM
oh yes please! i've already felt your leg / squeezed your knee... isn't that the next step, no? lol

Paul
26-09-08, 08:46 PM
Paul, your not the only one who I have heard say that about Steve but they need to be met before a opinion is made, 2 great guys that know their job VERY well.

I'm not alone, heard others say that myself too. I had met him before to book it in, and thats when I made my opinion of him.

However on the day, he was fine :)

Count Vaux Alot
26-09-08, 10:27 PM
oh yes please! i've already felt your leg / squeezed your knee... isn't that the next step, no? lol

:roll: lol lol