PDA

View Full Version : Hep needed!! Engine wont switch off!!

Torroni
19-01-08, 03:21 PM
My 1.6 GTE has decided it doesn't want to switch off.

Turning the key to the full 'off' position has no effect... any ideas where the problem lies? Electrical?

Before today everything was working correctly. Now i'm having to stop the engine by puting it in gear!

Thanks.

R1CH
19-01-08, 03:38 PM
I'd say its probly the ignition barrel.

Welsh Dan
19-01-08, 03:50 PM
Could be the ignition barrel or the clocks.

paddy138
19-01-08, 04:28 PM
the switch behind the ignition barrell is probaly buggered, common enough for them to go

mikey14sr
19-01-08, 04:39 PM
A forth for the ignition switch here.

burgo
19-01-08, 04:48 PM
or the igntion timing is to far advanced

Torroni
19-01-08, 05:13 PM
It's a very starange one...

When the switch is in position 2 (just before starter) the dashboard etc powers up as usual and if you turn the swith to off everything powers down just as it should.

Here's the weird bit...

With the engine now running, if you turn the switch to off, everything stays powered up, including dashboard and engine. The only way to kill the engine and electrical power is to stall the engine in gear.

I've tried disconnecting the ignition switch with the engine running but this makes no difference, which makes me think the problem might be located elsewhere?

What do you reckon?

mikey14sr
19-01-08, 05:33 PM
Has it suddenly started doing it or has it had problems with running-on for a few seconds leading up to it?

Has anyone been playing with the ignition timing prior to it happening?

stevenf
19-01-08, 05:41 PM
could it have anything to do with the hazzard switch as mk2 switches can cause the engine to stay running

Torroni
19-01-08, 05:48 PM
No it just started happening today for no apparent reason... never had any run-on problems at all. Also 'stevenf' it's a mk1 so no mk2 hazard switch.

Looking like a trip to the auto electrician but it's just baffling me. Grrr.

mikey14sr
19-01-08, 06:12 PM
All I can think of at the mo is to check all the earths are good, and that there are no wires shorting out. I can't think of any relay that could be sticking that would cause it either.

maxlee
19-01-08, 06:26 PM
might sound uber silly but check the interior light as on some vauxhalls (cant remember what ones) this can be used to get the ignition live, same as it you turn the hazzard light switch round on the mk2's might be the same on the mk1 i dont no

mowgli
20-01-08, 09:54 AM
A very clever bloke from bosch at a fuel injection lecture at the vauxhall OC show stated that you can fix 99% of all efi problems with a rag & wd40.
Start checking the loom connections, to see if the short is there, we have had rather a lot if water about lately.

Christ
20-01-08, 10:09 AM
this hapened to me it was the ignition switch had burnt out

meritlover
20-01-08, 11:28 AM
pull the connection off the back of the switch. if the engine stops the problem is most clearly in the switch. if it still runs there must be a short somewhere. or get out your meter.

good hunting.

Torroni
21-01-08, 11:24 AM
It's working fine now! I think water was to blame... I guess the guy at Bosh was right. Hopefully it wont happen again but I know the first place to look!

:-)

meritlover
21-01-08, 12:09 PM
water? in where? how?