View Full Version : SR steering wheel

carltoncrazy
16-07-02, 09:05 PM
stupid question,but its gota get off so i can rewire the radio,
how do u get it off,undo the bolt and it jus dont move
ian

CP
16-07-02, 09:50 PM
they can be real bastards to get off. most try to prise them off by pulling with brute strength or wedging their knees up from underneath having given the threaded end a smack with a hammer and punch. however this may not suffice in which case you need to get the special pullers for the job or go to a friendly garage and get them to crack it off for you

carltoncrazy
16-07-02, 10:11 PM
er drive that in the state its in,nope.
those prongs ,do i jus pull hard and they snap off?
does it matter if they do?

dave.gsi
18-07-02, 12:07 AM
don't waste your time with pullers.......i broke two before i gave up.....the vaux dealer gave up,took it home then my smart assed dad comes out (worked at vaux for yrs) gets in the footwell undoes a couple of bolts and takes the whole steering column out :lol: puts it into his work bench taps it with a hammer and the steering wheel flies around the garage at light speed :lol: :lol: took him ten minutes max!!

rob.slader
19-07-02, 09:24 PM
I had major grief getting my wheel off when I was changing it. The best way is to loosen the bolt but not take it completely off as when the wheel does free up, it flies off because of a spring behind it. Anyway loosen the nut and then top to bottom and side to side push and pull the with both arms but opposite to each arm if you get my drift. (Pull with one and push with the other!) After about ten mins mine went "crack" and came off. Just perseviere and it will eventually come free.

carltoncrazy
19-07-02, 10:39 PM
got it off,
wot i did was undo the nut and bank the bolt with my knees under the wheel,and ping
*******WARNING BE PREPARED TO DUCK,*******
smacked me bang in the mouth ,
ouch

Fester
20-07-02, 02:00 AM
The best way is to loosen the bolt but not take it completely off as when the wheel does free up, it flies off

:lol:
did you see that?

carltoncrazy
21-07-02, 12:41 AM
yeh but id already done it by then

mowgli
23-07-02, 01:02 AM
THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The steering column on all novas is designed to deform in a collision. you may have seen the lattice shaped bit on the outer tube.

if you just clout it with a hammer the column will get damaged!!!

The puller method is easy, I believe the Haynes book shows the correct shape to modify 2 bolts to fit into a 2 leg puller.
the slightly rougher method is to loosen the nut until it is flush with the top of the thread. then get 2 mates to pull up like hell on it whilst you give the nut a few taps with the hammer.
The pulling upwards will counteract the hammering so the column will survive.

Safe driving
Mowgli

Rich Dale
23-07-02, 03:13 AM
I still say the proper puller is the easiest way to do it...only cost ?8 and a few pence and the wheels off in 10 seconds once you start to wind it off. Total time for the job is 5 to 10 mins.

I've used mine 3 times now so it was well worth buying it to save the hassle, unlike the time I removed the wheel from my 83 A-plate Nova which had not been off in all those years...it took three of us pulling at it to get it to eventually come off! Fuck that for a lark...get the puller!