PDA

View Full Version : timing belt fitted price

just vaux trev
18-01-08, 03:03 PM
how much will i be paying to have timing belt fitted on my 2.0 8v nova
the belt covers have been removed so there is no marks to go by

Lee
18-01-08, 03:13 PM
Depends how long it takes to get the bottom pulley off lol. Youll be wanting to change the waterpump at the same time as well, and they can be an ass to get out if they're originals.

If nothing was seized, it shouldt take any longer than an hour or so including the pump. Maybe more if the guy doesnt have much vaux experience.

mikey14sr
18-01-08, 03:17 PM
Shouldn't be any more than 2 hours labour, including the waterpump. But if the pump's seized in, could take a full 8 hours or more, depends if the person doing it knows how to get them out the easy way.

Even with the covers off there should be some timing marks to go by.

maxlee
18-01-08, 03:23 PM
big bit of wood + wack with lump hammer water pump soon frees off ;) quickest way on the fronty

Lee
18-01-08, 03:25 PM
big bit of wood + wack with lump hammer water pump soon frees off ;) quickest way on the fronty

Nice plan when theres plenty of room. Which there isnt when you put a 2.0 in a nova lol. When I did Steve's, i nearly dropped the lump it was peeing me off so much

meritlover
18-01-08, 03:27 PM
sometimes the cap screws can be stuck in with much rust and pain. it is required to get a good fitting allen key or a hex drive socket to remove them. as once they are rounded you will cry. one of them you can remove with a nice small set of stillsons. but others...no luck for you. the engine may have to be takend out to be drilled!!! so take a letter of my warning to you sir!!

maxlee
18-01-08, 03:28 PM
no way of doing it from under the car????

i am only use to seeing the 1.2 eninge in the nova bay at the mo :(

verry true tho the esyest thing i think is to turn the engine round the right way and make it rwd lol lol lol lol

might take a little longer then doing the cambelt but think of all the time you would save in the long run lol aand the fun

Lee
18-01-08, 03:34 PM
sometimes the cap screws can be stuck in with much rust and pain. it is required to get a good fitting allen key or a hex drive socket to remove them. as once they are rounded you will cry. one of them you can remove with a nice small set of stillsons. but others...no luck for you. the engine may have to be takend out to be drilled!!! so take a letter of my warning to you sir!!

Indeed, 2 of the 3 bolts were already mashed before I started (ive a feeling someone tried to change it before and gave up). Best way in that situation is to bang a groove in the top of the bolt with a chisel and hit it round with a screwdriver. Then you have the pleasure of trying to prize the cnut out with no room for leverage at all lol

mikey14sr
18-01-08, 04:08 PM
Starter motor off, pipework to back of pump housing off, suitable metal bar inserted into the pump housing via the hose connector ( will need to be bent into shape to clear the master cylinder and inlet manifold), 3 good hits on the bar with a good sized hammer. Works every time for me, never had to hit it more than 5 times doing it that way. I came across the method after braying hell out of the front of a pump for 3 hours, smashing it up enough for the pulley to come off the shaft!

A lot easier if you've got the inlet and/or head off too.

Jack
18-01-08, 04:12 PM
Depends how long it takes to get the bottom pulley off lol
3 months? lol

just vaux trev
18-01-08, 04:14 PM
ok just read all your replies and it's already had a new water pump on lol
just before i brought it

Lee
18-01-08, 04:28 PM
So why do you need the cambelt changed?

just vaux trev
18-01-08, 04:29 PM
any ideas on a rough price as im a skint at the mo but also want the car running right without the thought of belt snapping??
i think it was haynes i read it was about ?50 average nova but not with 2.0

Lee
18-01-08, 04:31 PM

Hello?

just vaux trev
18-01-08, 04:31 PM

i can't get the timing right ond basicly iv'e had enough of going out in the cold and im loosing interest in doing it now, and have no idea how old the belt is

Lee
18-01-08, 04:33 PM
It should have had a belt when the pump was done. If it didnt the guy who changed the pump needs shooting.

What proplems are you having? Timing an 8v is a piece of pee!

just vaux trev
18-01-08, 04:37 PM
it just sounds a tooth or 2 out all the time but as i said it's got no covers on for timing marks, the guy who i bought it off did seem a bit dodgy tbh had all sorts of bodge jobs to put right

meritlover
18-01-08, 04:38 PM
just purchase some covers on it and it will be a nice and easy job for you

just vaux trev
18-01-08, 04:43 PM
/\ was thinking the same but then i'v been on the look out for an adjustable pulley wich would also get things sorted but can't find any at the right price,
i prob will end up getting the covers in the end but as said im loosing interest
and doesnt help being banned so i cant just pop to the local scrappers

meritlover
18-01-08, 05:02 PM
getting the covers will be cheaper than pulleys!! the correct tooth will be there you will just need to find it!! the cam mark is pretty much dead verticle and TDC is easy to find with a screwdriver and no1 plug removed. you can work it out from there

craig green
18-01-08, 05:10 PM
Have to agree. Its that simple on an 8v. Even I can do it.

Use an LED torch with no1 plug removed & find TDC by looking for the piston at its highest point & then make sure the bottom pulley is in the middle of its throw when you settle on TDC. Align the cam marker at vertical & you should be good to go. Make sure you have the belt tension adjusted properly....

mikey14sr
18-01-08, 05:41 PM
Should still be a notch on the cam pulley, which needs to be at the top, pretty much vertical as has been said.

Remove the bottom pulley for the alternator, and the toothed pulley for the belt should have a dot or a triangle on it's face, there should be a notch in the oil pump housing at the bottom, with these 2 lined up you should have TDC.

Welsh Dan
18-01-08, 11:47 PM
Aren't the SEH's valve safe anyway, so even if the belt did snap...

just vaux trev
18-01-08, 11:53 PM
think it's sorted still sounds a bit off but i think thats the 1.4 fuel pump
idles fine revs up ok thanks for the info and guidence guys,:thumb: :thumb: