PDA

View Full Version : Throttle bodies or Twin Webbers ??

pscars
16-01-08, 04:59 PM
What would you guys do.... im away to put an XE into my Nova but im considering fitting twin webbers or throttle bodies but no sure which to do, i want to do away with the Vauxhall system completely but what do i do abou the distributer ?? And advice ??

craig green
16-01-08, 05:00 PM
TB's on an XE.....

The management takes care of the dizzy. It will be blanked off.

pscars
16-01-08, 05:20 PM
What systems are availible ??

meritlover
16-01-08, 05:21 PM
i will be agreeing with Mr Green.
the dizzy may still be needed for Cam positioning/trigger. unless you will use the crank sensor. in the case, blank it off.

TBs are much of the best way to control fuel for all conditions. to compensate for air temp/load and 3d mapping for fuels and ignitions. this makes your car very driveable in the town and on the tracks!!.
no more playing with jets and poor cold starts for you!!!

craig green
16-01-08, 05:29 PM
What systems are availible ??

search the net for Jenvey, SBD, QED, OMEX, emerald ECU's etc.

Look on spending about ?2000 to have TB's running on your engine. Cams, high comp pistons etc are all extra which will be next step to getting beyond 200bhp. Bigger bore manifolds etc are extra too.

Tbh you'd want a diff & possibly a SCCR gearbox when getting to this level.

Lee
16-01-08, 05:33 PM
Dont discount carbs if your on a budget, you can get damn good results from them with a proper tune by someone who knows their stuff, and they do appear cheap second / third hand now and again (cheap in relation to a full TB setup lol). Expect to spend the money youe saved on fuel though!
But if youve got the money, TB's are the only way to do it properly.

Stuart
16-01-08, 05:53 PM
Choose who you would want to set your car up with TB,s then ask them which aftermarket engine management they prefer to use.

Its all well and good getting X ecu but if your mapping guy isnt familiar with it you wont get the best results.

Adam
16-01-08, 06:18 PM
If you've got the cash, fcuk carbs IMO

meritlover
16-01-08, 06:22 PM
the carbs with a 3D ignition system is a compromise. but it still will be like pants. drink fuel and be hard to tune nicely by yourself if u have not got the knowledge.

TBs can be dont on a budjet too with bike TBs and home fabricated manifold. megasquirt ecus are 120-300 and TBs can be obtained for ?40+ then it is just a home finish to complete!!
as mr green says you will start needing to look ad gear rations and LSDs to get best from the setup.

please

Adam
16-01-08, 06:27 PM
Carbs are a poor compromise, you can never get the fueling right through the revs.

meritlover
16-01-08, 07:18 PM
yes adam, you can have good AFRs at WOT or idle, but in the middle it is pants.

with a wild cam. there is much spittage back from the carbs which upsets them.

Stuart
16-01-08, 07:26 PM
most of that is due to crap setup though, to be fair....

mikey14sr
16-01-08, 10:36 PM
And a well set-up carbed engine can still do 35mpg+ if driven right....

Adam
16-01-08, 10:38 PM
And a well set-up carbed engine can still do 35mpg+ if driven right....
A xe on 45s wouldn't, not a chance ;)

meritlover
17-01-08, 08:10 AM
you can set up a carb for econnomy or you can set it up for power. you cant have both with a carb.
good fuel economy can be had at 14.0+ good power is normally about 12.5-13. this is possible with TBs as the O2 sensor can lean out on cruise with the closed loop, and then use the transient sensor for acelleration enrichment.
35mpg+ on a 2.0l with 45s sounds like much of a lie. i would not like to drive that car!! lol

Stuart
17-01-08, 10:13 AM
So Dans 1.6 8V which was(is) one of the msot powerful 1.6 8v's on carbs didnt return us 30-35mpg on a run? Man I must have been dreaming when we did that lol

Stop reading your books and get out into the real world where the truth is stranger than theory ;)

mikey14sr
17-01-08, 10:33 AM
^^^^ Agreed, the work book I was given at college back in '97 (for NVQ2 in motor vehicle mechanics) says almost exactly the same as meritlovers' last post.
In a light enough car it should still be possible to get at least low 30's from a 2 litre.

Lee
17-01-08, 03:47 PM
So Dans 1.6 8V which was(is) one of the msot powerful 1.6 8v's on carbs didnt return us 30-35mpg on a run? Man I must have been dreaming when we did that lol

Stop reading your books and get out into the real world where the truth is stranger than theory ;)

Stop comparing small blocks to XE's then you utterly stupendous gay! :D Also, not everyone has access to Redmond Pixie Dust!

meritlover
17-01-08, 07:12 PM

ok sir, real world? whatever. how can you compare an 2.0XE to a 1.6 8v?

the fact is whether its written down in a book or not, that is...in most of the cases what happens. of course an injected car can lean out more than a carb, and of course you can have a better spread of fuelling with an ECU compared to carbs...lol
yes ok you can mess around with progressive drillings in the carb. but why bother when ecus and throttle bodies are around for less than a second hand set of carbs and manifold? and thats before you buy the right chokes and set it all up...and then get something sorted with the ignition.;)
dry your eyes stuart.