PDA

View Full Version : Preping Panels

twistysnovagte
15-01-08, 09:12 PM
Ive recently stripped a mint h reg mk1 nova(in my thread calypso gte clean up projects) ive got the doors, wings and bonnet all free of rust,dents etc but RED, i need them down to the metal to be primed and painted the colour of my car, i could if i wanted get them sand blasted for next to nothing. but have been told its not good for the metal? any advice guys on what is the best way to prep for paint:confused: :thumb:

Iain
15-01-08, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't have thought you need to take them back down to metal. Surely just flat them back, primer and paint them the right colour.

twistysnovagte
15-01-08, 09:18 PM
how you mean m8> you saying thin the paint right down to bare minimum then primer over the paint and paint it my colour?

Paul
15-01-08, 09:20 PM
If the sand blaster is experienced with body panels, let him do it, if not avoid that.

You dont need to take it all the way back down to metal, just need to 'key' the surface.

If possible use a DA (Dual action sander) on the large flat area, keep it flat-ish 240grit should be fine, use some grey scotchbrite on the other areas, you need to loose the shine, but the panel should feel smoth if that makes sense.

before you paint, you need to de-grease the panels, one rag to wipe on, one to wipe off.

Hope this helps.

Paul

twistysnovagte
15-01-08, 09:55 PM
i do have the hand held electric sander with the velcro pads, would have to buy the wet/dry though, do reckon this could do the job? i dont wanna go experimenting and naff them up. also are you saying that i kinda need the top coat(paint)off? then i clean them up(degreaser)then there ready for priming or do i spray my colour str8 onto them

greg1.4
15-01-08, 09:59 PM
yes just take the shine off the old paint..use panel wipe to clean it (degrease).

then you can prime it, then spray your colour on.

would recomend to put primer on first..

twistysnovagte
15-01-08, 10:08 PM
dont mean to keep going onlol but wouldnt leaveing the paint on affect the look off the panels to the others that have only had the original 1-2 coats off paint(i.e thickness etc)realy havent a clue its just a thought:thumb:

twistysnovagte
15-01-08, 10:10 PM
sorry about the bottom bit this was posted by meritlover was wondering how you put as a quote as some people dolol

Paul
15-01-08, 10:28 PM
nah, will be fine, are you painting them, or a painter?

If your getting a painter to paint them ask for their advice, If you are planning on using cans, save up until you can afford to have them done properly.

Paul

Rexy
15-01-08, 10:52 PM
Providing the paint is ok and not flaking away then yes its fine to paint over.

However, if the paint has cracked or flaking etc then yes it will need to go back to where it stops be it metal, primer whatever...

To fully explain this needs somebody to show you before you understand it fully...

If i was you and you want a mint job Take it to a bodyshop, if your just after having a play with it do exactly that get some 600's 800's wet n dry and rub like a good un.

craig green
16-01-08, 01:02 PM
Use the flatting paper dry. You use it wet after paint to lubricate the action when buffing it back to a flat, blemish free surface.

As the Calypso Red is a metallic, you only need to dust on the base coat to merely get the colour. The colour will come to life when the lacquer is applied. It will look very dull as a base coat no matter how many coats of Red base you layer on.

I'd advise a cheap compressor & gun to do panels as cans simply do not have good nozzles for a good finish 99% of the time.

[edit] no need to go back to bare metal, shot blasting car panels is OTT IMO.

Leaving the std paint on but keying it back for new primer is the best way to keep the panels rust proofed as no aftermarket finish will have as good an adhesion or rust prevention as the original paint.

twistysnovagte
16-01-08, 06:35 PM
cheers for this advice:thumb: but it sounds to complicated for an amature(like melol)to get perfect without the blemishes i want it to look mint with the rest of the car hopefuly show it off at the pod(will be my first time)any way like i say id rathere have this perfect. so how much you guys reckon its gonna cost me?drivers door bonnet maybe to wings(as spares) preped and painted calypso red by a pro,