PDA

View Full Version : how to: remove an alternater from xe nova!

alan b
15-01-08, 08:23 PM
hey lads i had to change my alternater at the weekend, nightmare of a job but i said id tell ye how i did it! i did this from under neath the car by the way!
first unbolt the alternator off the bracket, then unbolt the bracket from the block.
then takle the bracket out for more space. the alternator wont fit through the hole between the block and steering rack and def will not come up through the top!, the steering rack boot gets in the way. so undo the retain clips at each end of the boot, and push it down the rack towards the wheel, its a tight fit but you will now be able to fit the alternator through the hole as the boot takes up about 1-1.5 inches! its not as hard as it looks and only took about a half hour to get the old one out! if theres an easier way do enlighten me! cheers.

Clean 2.0 nova
15-01-08, 08:28 PM
though they came out the top way quite easy?

alan b
15-01-08, 08:31 PM
i couldnt get it out that way! it did on a small block but wasnt anyway near it on my xe

Paul
15-01-08, 09:27 PM
I got my alt out through the top once upon a time.

coombsey
15-01-08, 10:03 PM
i did a mates one ages ago and wouldnt fit out the top neither will mine and it wouldnt get passed manifold so had to remove thats why im putting mine off

Mint FRST
15-01-08, 10:08 PM
Get

Mint FRST
15-01-08, 10:10 PM
Get it mounted round the front;)

craig green
15-01-08, 10:15 PM
I've heard of people removing driveshafts to do them on XE Novas & mk3 Cav's.

Sounds like a good enough method to me. I'm small-block-cool though, so dont have such issues.

Philsutton
16-01-08, 09:00 AM
Ive always done them from underneath by removing a driveshaft, to get out the top you need to remove the manifold or scratch the hell out of your engine bay and lose lots of skin of yours hands.

alan b
16-01-08, 10:59 AM
i was going to pull the drive shaft but pulling the boot out the way of steering rack is far quicker and not as messy!