PDA

View Full Version : Engine Tuning???

RYAN16V
15-01-08, 03:29 PM
Hi Guys

Wanting to Tune my 1988 GTE?

Wondering if anyone knows anywhere in yorkshire who are good and reasonable for head work fitting cams etc...

Need best prices for an Ashley Full System and Manifold, Power Boost Valve, Some nice Red Roose/Samco hoses, and what the hell can i get Engine Laquer off with???

Regards

Ryan

meritlover
15-01-08, 03:52 PM
engine laquer can be removed in a chemical bath. or some hard scrubbing it a brush made of steel wire. chemical baths are better as they remove sludge and scale from the water jacket and the oil galleries at the same time as removing the paint.
you may do the same with the head. if you have the ways then use a sand blast gun but this is the often case to get grits into the engine workings.
the chances are you have an engine that is a tired. you might feel the gains from changing the piston rings and grinding your valves as poor compression makes a sad engine with no powers.
you may make gains by having the injectors of fuel cleaned with ultra sonic bath to make better spray atomisation of fuel and make better powers. this can go bad due to laquer in fuel and crustations that form over lots of miles.
some engine computers can be remapped to increast the ign advanve to make a fast engine but there is risks with this if you have poor fuels and no idea how to look after engine well.

thank you please

Adam
15-01-08, 04:00 PM
Forget the FSE boost valve, waste of time.

Best prices on Ashely stuff is from Ashley themselves.

mikey14sr
15-01-08, 07:15 PM
Best way to start is with a full engine service, including water pump and belt if it's due, along with a proper compression and leak-down test. The compression checks will tell you if the engine needs any internal work, as it'll show up any big faults with the sealing of the rings or the valves.

To get the engine lacquer off, provided it's just the stuff idiotic valetters use, a tin of gunk and a stiff brush should get most of it off along with a steam-clean.

meritlover
15-01-08, 07:59 PM
yes, also polish can be imported and paid cheaply these days to perform such tedious rituals like grass cutting and laquer removal. i may hire one to remove underseal from my under carrage of my car.

be very scared of steam cleaning if the engine is complete as the steam can interfere/violate the electicalonics systems.

mikey14sr
15-01-08, 08:19 PM
yes, also polish can be imported and paid cheaply these days to perform such tedious rituals like grass cutting and laquer removal. i may hire one to remove underseal from my under carrage of my car.

be very scared of steam cleaning if the engine is complete as the steam can interfere/violate the electicalonics systems.

Even plain scottish would be more understandable!

RYAN16V
15-01-08, 10:33 PM
Where would i get a compression/leak down test i had the full sevice done!!!

meritlover
16-01-08, 08:14 AM
a compression tester is of about ?15 however the leakdown tester is about 10 times that and you will need a compressor too as well!!