PDA

View Full Version : nova/ corsa rack?

alan b
15-01-08, 03:05 PM
hey lads ive searched for this but im still confused. i want a quick rack, and heard you can use a corsa power steering rack, if you just cennect up the wires for live and earth. but i dont want to have to change the colum aswell? or am i totally wrong alotogether? any help appreciated!

meritlover
15-01-08, 04:00 PM
oh Mr Alan. the quick rack is of a different ratio and will make the gearing so as less turns = more rack moves. simply scaring a corsa rack with a live and earth will result in no more than sparks for you and will only make wheel feel light and un responsiveness. this is a bad thing as you will not know if you have a punctured air wheel or understeer conditions!!
there can be quick nova racks to purchase from rally stores and magazines i think i have rememberance that the price of this is around ?89 and this did not need an exchange.
a quick rack can make your car feel nice but it needs to be driven with more smoothess or sharp tugs can cause loss of grip if done too hardly!!

mikey14sr
15-01-08, 07:19 PM
You can get a nova specific quick rack either complete or in kit form, the complete one is a direct replacement for the standard item. Many people then change the column for an EPAS one from later corsa B's and C's to add power steering on top, as the quick rack on it's own can be quite heavy to use.

alan b
15-01-08, 07:38 PM
i dont mind about it being heavy! there too dear for me, 90 pound id the cheapest ive seen, feck that! i have a brand new rack at home and was goning to put it in but if a diff rack from a corsa would fit then id use that instead!

meritlover
15-01-08, 07:47 PM
oh alan. a nova deserves to have nothing but the best of parts. however many driving improvementations can be made by replacing all 15 years old bushes with nice new poly propelene items and also nice springs and shockers.
oftens it sounds like a quick rack is no more than an item to impress friends and relatives over during car discussions.

alan b
15-01-08, 07:49 PM
i have polybushes all around. kyb shocks and courtney xe poundage springs. i asked about corsa racks fitting novas not the state of my bushes!

meritlover
15-01-08, 07:51 PM
alan i did not mean any offensiveness by insulting your bush.
perhaps you may purchase just the pinion kit and convert your new std rack to be like a quick ratio rack. if you are on the tightness of budgets??

thank you

alan b
15-01-08, 07:54 PM
i was thinking that but they seem to be abit dear! ill see what the best price i can get!

meritlover
15-01-08, 07:56 PM
good luck with your conversion rack Mr b. perhaps if you get a good money deals discount you can tell the people of PNG so that they can also feel the benefits of driving a nova with a nice quick rack.
you will find that a round about can be gone round with 1/4 to 1/2 turns making drivings with hands at 1:50 positon very enjoyable on twisty country road ways!!

R1CH
15-01-08, 08:47 PM
Meritlover, what the f*ck are you on ?!?!?!

Pretty sure i've read somewhere (on here ? Mig ?) that you can use rack & pinion from a Corsa rack to convert your std Nova rack to a quick rack, not sure if its parts from a power steering rack or not tho.
Been thinking of doing it with mine, if i find out i'll post it up.

R1CH
15-01-08, 08:51 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88345&highlight=quick+rack

Use the bits from a Corsa B rack (with EPS) to make a 2.7 turn lock to lock Nova 'quick rack'

alan b
15-01-08, 08:54 PM
ya just talking to a friend said you can use the corsa rack with epas!

R1CH
15-01-08, 09:00 PM
Ahh, thought you were just waning to make a cheap quick rack ??
You can fit the Corsa rack and EPAS column but its not a straight swap.
Have a 'search' its been covered a fair few times

alan b
16-01-08, 11:00 AM
a friend of mine fitted a rack off an epas corsa a 1 litre one, he said it bolted straight on and was made to fit the nova colum fairly easily! didnt need to fit epas colum!