PDA

View Full Version : Diff cover plate gasket

5T1G
15-01-08, 01:41 PM
Anyone know the torque rating on this fecker, i can't stop it leaking and feel i might be doing it up to tight.

I'm on my 3rd gasket now:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Iain
15-01-08, 01:44 PM
Differential cover plate to transmission casing: 30Nm

5T1G
15-01-08, 01:46 PM
Cheers

mikey14sr
15-01-08, 03:45 PM
Differential cover plate to transmission casing: 30Nm

Translation; a good nip with an average 3/8" ratchet.

meritlover
15-01-08, 03:55 PM
3 gaskets is much gaskets to use. are you sure the oils are coming from there and not from the driveshaft seals? or the seal on the inputs shaft and runs down thru casing to side of diff cover?
if there are any holes or imperfecness with the sealing faces then hope for you getting a seal is at an all time low. i do simpathise with you Mr 5T1G getting red oil on mums driveway bricks is not a nice thing to do!!

5T1G
15-01-08, 04:05 PM
Cheers mate, i will try that. The oil is defo leaking from the diff cover plate. Will try 3 gaskets, am awaiting vauxhall to try and get 1 gasket in at the moment is hard enough, 3 might cause mayhem.

It only leaks under pressure, doesn't really leak when standing. If i've jsut taken the car out and leave it then if will leak for a bit but then stops??

have checked the face of the diff cover and the transmission casing both are fine, no chips. Have also changed the actual plate...still leaking.

I left home at 16 so it's the Girl Friend that moans about gearbox oil in the garage:cry:

Mum moans that it's not got a roll cage:tard:

meritlover
15-01-08, 04:09 PM
oh Mr 5T1G much drama for you. a gearbag should never run under pressure, perhaps this is of a problem to you,
maybe check the oil filler breather beside the gear linkage forks has a plastic cap in that is free to let the pressures of inside the gearbox escape. if this has a blockage then this will result in pressure making your cork gasket a leaky seal. also try and use some hylomar compound and do not over tighten the cover plate.

5T1G
15-01-08, 05:00 PM
Have checked the cap, when re filling the gearbox with oil last time, appeared fine. Not used hylomar compound so that is another option.

The gasket from vauxhall isn't cork, it is of similar properties to a sheet of normal copier (80gsm) paper.

I've possible been over tightening the bolts, will torque to correct tightness once the gasket is back in stock!

garyc
15-01-08, 05:50 PM
You should only need 1 gasket. Ask vauxhall for some of the black silicon sealer and use that with 1 gasket, its normally used on sumps. Clean all the surfaces and make sure they are oil free. If it still leaks it will be something else on your box.

meritlover
15-01-08, 05:54 PM
Mr Gary, i am not a lover of the silicone sealing material as much blobs may break off into internals of engines and gearboxes causing much upset to the engine and you.
be careful gary.
to obtain an original gasket made of cork/rubber would be of a much better idea to get a betterness seal.

mikey14sr
15-01-08, 07:02 PM
Original gasket is just a paper one....

Get some hylomar and smear it onto the gearbox and coverplate with your fingers before putting it back together. You can clean any excess of quite easily (you only need enough to cover the mating surfaces).

I've never had a leak on my gearbox despite the fact I left the old gasket there, mind, I never took the cover plate fully off, just slackened the bolts enough to let the oil out, then tightened it back up.