PDA

View Full Version : Opinions required, driveshaft eating sr!

d171jvf
14-01-08, 10:31 PM
Okay, so i have had my mk1 sr for nearly a year now and it keeps repeatedly knackering the left hand driveshaft/ cv joint.

i had it done once and i put it down to it being 2o years old, then i had it done again, which worried me a little, and when i took it out tonight it started doing it again.

it starts off with just a slight 'ticking' when i turn right, and then over weeks, or a period of a few weeks starts doing it more often, then all of a sudden starts doing it in straight lines.

it seems to mainly do it when the car is in gear and you have your foot on the accelerator (im assuming this is because torque it being put through the 'shaft?)

it just baffles me that it keeps doing it, this will be the third time and its really bugging me.

should i just buy some gte/ gsi shafts, assuming that they are sturdyer to deal with more power?

oh and the car is lowered -60mm on g-max suspension, could this be whats ruining the cv's?

any thoughts much appreciated as im not a mechanic myself as you can probably tell.

Royston
14-01-08, 10:45 PM
Are you using OE CV joints or spurious cheap ones?

60mm lowering shouldn't affect it, but will shaft your tyres if camber not corrected

d171jvf
15-01-08, 07:58 AM
um, they come from andrew pages and are about ?60 a go plus fitting.

so i suppose they are cheap ones?

craig green
15-01-08, 12:01 PM
?60 is expensive. I paid ?32 IIRC each for new CV's recently.

I would say look out for knackered engine mounts or the engine sitting at an angle putting un due stress on one side's shafts.

d171jvf
15-01-08, 09:40 PM
well its for MOT and shaft doing sat, so ill ask about it then.

whats OE mean?
and i think ?60 was for the shaft & cv's..

plus it was free fitting by my birds dad, who's a mechanic.

Welsh Dan
15-01-08, 10:21 PM
OE = original equipment, for us that means manufactured by General Motors, and bought from a Vauxhall dealer.

d171jvf
16-01-08, 07:15 PM
engine looks to be sat straight and i'd have had other signs if a mount had gone? any other ideas?