PDA

View Full Version : 1200i mixture adjustments, how?

RSTChris
14-01-08, 03:56 PM
Hi all

Im currently running my nova on the standard 1200i engine whilst i strip my calibra turbo/get some bits and bobs baught ready for the conversion

It is currently using far too much fuel, how do you weaken the mixture? adjust the Co2 etc?

Thanks

meritlover
14-01-08, 04:18 PM
it is my question to you that i ask, how do you know its using too much fuel?
it is often that there is a component at folt such as a temperiture sender component or a choked filter. an not a case of adjustment. also please check the static timing if this is at all posible.

thanks ,
please

RSTChris
14-01-08, 04:23 PM
50 miles to a tenner just wont do! My old XE nova wasnt as bad as this thing!

It cant be the filter as i threw that in the bin

Back to my original question then

CheeRS

meritlover
14-01-08, 04:34 PM
perhaps there is a fault with some internal component. like a piston. or perhaps the timing is out by a lot of degrees. maybe there is a fault with the fuel pressure regulator? or the lambda sensor may not behaving like a proper man should?
it is not a good idea to play with such things as mixture settings unless you have a CO meter or a wideband lambda kit such as the LSU4 sensor with a display in either lambda or AFR.
maybe you have a tank that is rotten/porus and will let the petrol seepage out.
i would check the IAT sensor and the water jacket temp sender are performing manly. as this can fool the engine into thiniking it is on 'choke' or cold run.

please

Martin
14-01-08, 04:36 PM
M'lover.. one question...

Who the hell are you? you seem to have a lot of know how with engines lol

RSTChris
14-01-08, 05:33 PM
Compression is good and equal on all cylinders, timing is bang on and the lambda is new although im not ruling tht out

The tank is all well and good

I havnt yet checked fuel pressure - i dont plan to

How is the CO adjusted??

meritlover
14-01-08, 05:40 PM
i think it is not possible to adjust the CO as it is in the old fashioned GTE/GSI type injection with a nice MAF meter with an air bypas screw. iam affraid you may be forced to source the problems of your 1.2 engine with a bit of knowhow and faultfinding techniches.
i think the ECU computer is determining the mixture settings with its self. it only uses a few simple component inputs such as MAP, IAT, coolant temp, TPS and Cam angle sensor. it must be one of the component pieces i have mentioned. or it may be one that i have forgotten to mantion. i am sorry to upset you chris.

perhaps you have a hole in your exhust manifold and the air being sucked in is making the lambda sensor think the engine is leaner than it is so it is trying to compensate of this by adding the ?10 of fuel you speak about in such a negative way?

you may be able to have a look at the spark plugs and see if they are nice and coloured full? and not black and wet like a bad plug. however. this will only be an indication if you are sure your plugs that spark are of the correct temperature range.

please

RSTChris
14-01-08, 05:45 PM
The 1200 single point K reg Nova has an ECU?

meritlover
14-01-08, 05:52 PM
of course it does chris, i think that this lack of understanding is leading to your frustration with your 1.2 engine.
how else would the injektor pulse duration be calculated/referenced from the map from the inputs without an ECU of some description??

oh Chris, where is the passion?

please

RSTChris
14-01-08, 05:54 PM
LOL!!

Where is it? I cant seam to find one

stevenf
14-01-08, 05:57 PM
its tucked up behind the glove box.

RSTChris
14-01-08, 06:00 PM
Ahhhh right thanks for that, i presumed it would be where they usually are when XE, Gsi engined.

Ill ave a propper look over it tomorra

Adam
14-01-08, 06:11 PM
You cant adjust the CO on them
And they dont have a IAT sensor either.

Change the coolant temperature sensor(screwed into the back of the inlet)
TBH, its a 1200i with 45bhp, so your probably having to floor it to get it going anywhere, hence the fuel usage.

A small engine doesn't mean good mpg in all cases.

meritlover
14-01-08, 06:15 PM
i thought it was my understandings that the IAT is integral to the throttle body. furthermore i would like to agree with Adams nova passion.

RSTChris
14-01-08, 06:19 PM
If i was using full throttle i would agree with the sh1te mpg, but im not.

Ill ave another look 2moz and see whats what

Adam
14-01-08, 06:25 PM
When driving my dads 1200i corsa, i find i use full throttle pretty much all the time, without realising lol

RSTChris
14-01-08, 06:28 PM
Full throttle and quater throttle doesnt seam to be all that different lol

Adam
14-01-08, 06:30 PM
Exactly ;)