PDA

View Full Version : Rear spring mounting pads

Iain
14-01-08, 02:35 PM
When replacing my rear suspension setup I remember there being a rubber pad on the car for the spring to sit on, but not on the rear beam. Browsing the Flo-flex (www.deflex.co.uk) website, I've seen you can buy a "Rear spring top damping pad" and a "Rear spring lower seating pad".

Should I have a seat on the beam end of the spring too, or is it just a (pointless?) addition you can buy?

Philsutton
14-01-08, 02:47 PM
Normally have one on each but by now most wont have them still on lol

Iain
14-01-08, 03:13 PM
I see, I don't think either of mine had it on the beam side. lol Worth refitting some then?

mikey14sr
14-01-08, 03:18 PM
Only needed if you've got sqeaky springs IMO.

Mike
14-01-08, 03:42 PM
IMHO GM put them there for a reason, so uprated ones wouldnt go amiss as replacements.

meritlover
14-01-08, 04:47 PM
it would not be of an advantage of much to use these pads. however, it is nice that you are considering to use nice items on your nova as these pads will prevent the rubbage of the spring on components such as the chassy legs that like to crack and rustify. and also the beam axle that can go as weak as my granmotherd after many years of rusting. these pads can prevent the rubbing of the paint and of the underseal that GM used to protect our chassy legs and it should be cared for.
i do not remember a need for them on the bottom as the springs are flat and sit nicely.

Ash
14-01-08, 06:29 PM
When mine were removed, the springs would fall out when the car was jacked. So I guess they help locate the springs

meritlover
14-01-08, 06:31 PM
i suppose you may be right Ash. however the spring should not be as loose. it may be that your shocks are dangerously short!

craig green
15-01-08, 12:03 PM
A loose spring is either due to a short spring or overly long damper piston (combo of both)