PDA

View Full Version : drilling doors to feed wiring in

bola
13-01-08, 09:44 PM
How do i drill holes in the doors to feed c/l, e/w & speaker wires in? Is there any way to drill the doors with them still on? Where do i drill? thanks

KITT1972
13-01-08, 09:59 PM
I have done this and yes is is possable. Not the easiest job put yes it can be done. When you look insid ethe door but the door rob that comes in the door you will see there is a round circle pressed into the metel this is where i drilled through i used a drill with a flexi shaft so i could get the drill head inside the door. then inside the car you will need to remove the lower shelf and side plastic and look up into the open area inside the a frame and you will see the same circle pressed into the meatel again this is where i drill through. the two holes are not that the same height as this is how it is done if your car was to have come with electric windows. dont for get to use rubber grommets or the metel will cut through cable after short time

:thumb:

Jack
13-01-08, 10:27 PM
Also, stick a bit of masking tape on where you're going to drill. That'll stop the drill from skipping around on the metal ;)

meritlover
14-01-08, 09:14 AM
it is much easier to remover the door and perform the task properly. the door pin extractors can be bought for about 15UK pounds or made from a small lathe or 4mm threded rod with small spacer tubes. a small slotted bit of metal or with a hole in it can be used to tap the pins up and away from the hinge.
this way you can drill the holes nicely with a hole saw and treat the bare metal with a rusting proof or a paintcan.
u can then use some gromit tubes from another car with Emirrors and ewindows and post your wires through the holes to make it lookd like it had came from the factories in Spain that way.
thank you for your time

Jack
14-01-08, 10:02 AM
it is much easier to remover the door and perform the task properly.
That all depends on how easy the doors are to get off, usually the door pins can be a pain in the rint to get out even with the right tools.

Managed to drill mine on the old hatch fine with the doors in situ.

meritlover
14-01-08, 10:04 AM
any skiled mechanic will be able to perform this task. they always come out eventuallly.
i think it just takes a bit of effort and a penetrating flooid it will become like the removal of a door should be.

Mike
14-01-08, 10:21 AM
I found that placing the actual drill inside the door frame itself is an easier way of drilling holes in that area. Failing that, remove the door :D

Iain
14-01-08, 10:42 AM
If you're still struggling to picture it, I think there's a guide in the Haynes/Max Power manual.

craig green
14-01-08, 11:20 AM
You can probably open the doors wider if you remove the pin for the check strap. Support the door though so it can swing right open!

mikey14sr
14-01-08, 12:28 PM
Just take the front wings off and you'll have all the access you need to drill the doors in the right spot. Will be easier to drill into the A posts aswell.

Matt2107
14-01-08, 01:24 PM
Might be worth getting a metal hole cutter.
B&Q sell them.

bola
14-01-08, 07:19 PM
If you're still struggling to picture it, I think there's a guide in the Haynes/Max Power manual.
There is, but thats with the doors off

Clean 2.0 nova
14-01-08, 08:35 PM
Use the flexi-grommit from a corsa tailgate - perfect fit. Nova's are getting too hard to find in scrappy's now. I couldn't get 1 door pin off. I ended up cutting the door up with a grinder until I could get at the hinge - then I ground that off top and bottom. Believe me it can be a right task to get the pins out sometimes. BTW the door was f'cked anyway.

tony k
14-01-08, 09:14 PM
i used a tool called a cone cutter do a pilot hole first then use that its like loads of drill bits in 1 can get them from machine mart thats where i got mine

Matt2107
15-01-08, 01:30 PM
For anyone wanting to replace their doors I have a bag of door pins.
Vauxhall wouldn't let me buy 4 so I had to buy a bag. lol