PDA

View Full Version : hot engine - coolant

ade
15-07-02, 03:09 PM
I do a fair bit of motorway driving in my 1.2 and have noticed over the last few months that when I come off the motorway and drive to me house (about 15 minutes through several sets of lights) my thermostat rises quickly to the 1/2 way mark - then the fan kicks in. When I get home and turn it off, I can really smell the pipes from under the bonnet - kind of rubbery. About 2 yrs ago my water hose exploded on me right outside my house as I was coming home - managed to get engine cooled without causing any damage and a new hose was fitted by my local garage. Usually my thermostat sits at the 1st line just above the cold blue bit.
So - should I be concerned?
Should I change my coolant (do I have enough)?
If I have to change the coolant is it as simple as Dicko makes it sound on the servicing 1.4sr post?
The car is serviced and oil changed every 6 months by myself (due now) and has a garage major service every 12 months (usually December/January)

Ade
:?:

dErZ1
15-07-02, 04:36 PM
Ade, My car use to idle just above that little line as well but I have noticed over the past month that it is getting really hot quickly, I am not sure whether that is because it needs a service or requires the coolant changed but I am going to next week service it and then once I've found out how much coolant the car holds change that. From what Dicko has said it sounds straight forward, we wont know unless we do it ourselfs. So I post you once I have dont it with a Blue Peter rating. Heheheheh

ade
15-07-02, 04:46 PM
cheers m8 - ne1 else had similar experience???

Dicko
15-07-02, 06:21 PM
wot happens is....

as engine warms up it recirculates the coolant around the engine, as it gets to the 1st marker on ur dials, the thermostatic valves open (next to your top cam pulley) sending the hot water to the radiator, if you are not moving very quickly and its a warm day the chances are the temperature will continue to climb, as it gets to the middle marker, at the top of the guage the fan will kick in, when the temperature drops to the 1st marker the fan will go off.

if your driving on the motorway theres plenty of air goin through the rad, then when you pull off u have all that hot water stuck in your system and no air going through it. wot i do is just take it very easy the last 5 mins before i pull off the motorway to let it cool down, or take it very easy before im gonna stop.
as soon as you stop the water is not circulating, no fan, and no air going through rad, so it takes ages to cool down then!!

ade
16-07-02, 10:24 AM
cheers dicko - will take it easy coming off m/way from now on.

Ade