PDA

View Full Version : Nova SR Engine Swap

JamieBlakeney
15-07-02, 02:52 PM
My mate reckons his Astra Mk2 1.8 GTE engine and box will drop straight into my C Reg Nova SR. Is he right? We realise the fuel tank etc will need to be changed, however I can't believe him when he thinks it's easy to do!!

Any feedback greatly appreciated as he has the engine out and ready for me!!

Cheers

mowgli
15-07-02, 11:53 PM
Hi you would need a nova gte/sri tank, plus all of the bits that u would need to put a 16v lump in, ie. driveshafts, mounts, exhaust, wiring, modded gear linkage, chassis strengthening kit & suspension work but you would not get much more power than from a std nova gte lump, which will go straight in.
the 1.8 from the very last of the mk2 astras and from early mk3 astras will probably fit, but you start getting involved in cats and emissions gear, so you probably won't gain much in performance.

just buy nova gte bits they fit straight in.

cheers

carltoncrazy
16-07-02, 12:04 AM
yep agree,jus get a GTE lump,ya can get em for llike 100 quid

JamieBlakeney
16-07-02, 09:26 AM
Ok, so if I go for a GTE lump, do I need anything other than the fuel tank to do the conversion?

carltoncrazy
29-07-02, 11:19 PM
i think the feuls lines,but all the stuff is dead cheap,and pi** easy to do,

brian
29-07-02, 11:53 PM
i fitted a 1.8 gte engine in a nova and it was a nightmare compared to a 2l 16 v transplant. wiring is the problem. i ended up putting in the full astra wiring loom and mating to the nova plugs etc inside. where as with the 1.6 gte engine or 2l 16v engine wiring is very simple. id say keep away from it anyway! :|