PDA

View Full Version : even more probs (stupid anoying)

just vaux trev
13-01-08, 04:18 PM
where do i start:
well rebuilt engine put it back in car:
got it running fine:
all of a sudden it starts turning over slowly then my clutch cable started smoking (yes clutch cable) melted the sleeve, then started smoking inside under the dash, when i disconect the clutch cable the fuel pump relay buzzes on ign and stops on crank,
i'v took the dash off and cant find any burnt out wires and now wont turn over at all has a clifford on but is working fine can hear fuel pump kicking in,
any ideas? im ready to give up on it now so anoying

aswrally
13-01-08, 04:46 PM
where do i start:
well rebuilt engine put it back in car:
got it running fine:
all of a sudden it starts turning over slowly then my clutch cable started smoking (yes clutch cable) melted the sleeve, then started smoking inside under the dash, when i disconect the clutch cable the fuel pump relay buzzes on ign and stops on crank,
i'v took the dash off and cant find any burnt out wires and now wont turn over at all has a clifford on but is working fine can hear fuel pump kicking in,
any ideas? im ready to give up on it now so anoying
bad earth on engine / gearbox its using the clutch cable as an earth

just vaux trev
14-01-08, 09:47 AM
why would the clutch cable get hot when normal earth wire does'nt??

meritlover
14-01-08, 09:51 AM
because if the earth wire is so bad (ie infinite of open circuit) then the resistance will be higher in the clutch cable. to transport the current this turns the clutch cable into an effective light bulb or heating element.

you were a lucky man this did not occur to the throttle cable and jam it wide open!

just vaux trev
14-01-08, 09:57 AM
i'll go put a new earth on today but i have got an earth gong to the starter motor bracket thats why i quesioned it could it be anything else cause this?

meritlover
14-01-08, 10:01 AM
it is maybe not a sufficiant earthing path.
perhaps you may try a temp earth by using a jump lead from the battery to a clean bit on the block/gearbox.

stevenf
14-01-08, 10:08 AM
then started smoking inside under the dash,
i'v took the dash off and cant find any burnt out wires

the smoke was probs coming from the clutch cable and thats why there was not any signs of burnt out wires

Philsutton
14-01-08, 10:57 AM
I check that the clutch cable isnt touching the power cable to the starter motor first as that do run close together.

meritlover
14-01-08, 02:47 PM
that is also a very nice idea! there is often much chaffing

please.