PDA

View Full Version : Strong Petrol Smell

twistysnovagte
13-01-08, 02:17 PM
please help me out,i swapped the original airbox for a k/n airfilter on my gte model, the first couple of week seemed ok but for the last couple of month its realy begining to smell of petrol. when started up from cold no problems, but once its been for a run(warmed up) the smell seems to come through the heaters?when i also get out with it running(ticking over)its very strong smell of petrol. can i just say that im in no way a mechanic so would not have a clue, ive not changed anything else on the car apart from a set of genuin GM plugs and leads, oil and oil filter(castrol):confused: :thumb:

mikey14sr
13-01-08, 03:37 PM
Could just be that one of the rubber fuel pipes has cracked due to age. turn the ignition on (but don't start the engine)to pressurise the fuel system, and give all the fuel pipes a good inspection for leaks.

clarke frazer
13-01-08, 03:57 PM
car could be runin rich and fumes just comi thru get it put on a crypton tuner if fuel pipes arent crackd or worn

twistysnovagte
13-01-08, 05:23 PM
could you please post a couple of pics of what pipe(fuel lines)i should be checking:thumb:

meritlover
14-01-08, 09:24 AM
may i be the one to ask what you did with your crank case breether pipe from the airbox?
or did you upset the MAF meter when you were performing the insallation?

Courtnova16v
14-01-08, 07:14 PM
I have the same problem after fitting a pipercross filter. Going to change back to the original one and see what happens.

twistysnovagte
14-01-08, 07:33 PM
may i be the one to ask what you did with your crank case breether pipe from the airbox?
or did you upset the MAF meter when you were performing the insallation?realy havent a clue m8, i didnt see no pipe going to the airbox?:confused:

-AL-
15-01-08, 10:36 AM
if its a very strong smell then most prob a fuel pipe has crack due to age

southard
16-01-08, 12:11 AM
hi there i had the same problem like you have of a strong smell of petrole checked all my fuel lines and nothing no leaks but after checing my down pipe i found it had the smallest hole in it which was causing the front of the car to stink of petrole after using some gun gum it no longer smells of petrole so i am well happy give your exhaust a once over make sure you have no holes