PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems, 1.0

Leeboo
12-01-08, 10:19 PM
Hi I am a new member to PNG, although I have followed many threads in the forum previous to my registration.

My first post is in regard to my Nova Trip 1.0...

I have had no major problems witht he car as of yet, just off a cylinder now and again. I have replaced a section of the petrol breather pipe (coming off filler pipe near body). This might have no relevance to my query, though. I put some petrol in the car tonight, and some made its way down the breather pipe, I know this as some leaked out at a joint in the pipe. I had the car running 100%, but then noticed that some petrol was leaking at the fuel pump, because the pump-carb pipe was loose. With this tightened, I attempted to start the car again, but to no avail.

Is the the carb starved of petrol now because some leaked out at the pump? Or is the problem that some made its way down the breather?

Please help!

Dexter
13-01-08, 11:45 AM
Welcome back mate im a scumbag noob too.

If it had been running then i wouldnt have thought that it would be starved of petrol...Unless its been leaking enough to run it dry in which case you would have noticed a lot of rough running and hesitation when driving it or even at idle too until it stalled itself on fuel starvation.

Does it attempt to fire on cranking? and how long have you been cranking it for?
Im not sure if the carb on 1L models allows you to prime them as such by depressing the accellerator pedal which is probably worth a try.
Double check all the joints to give them a good 'nip' to ensure that they are all tight enough.

Shaun_O'Donnell
13-01-08, 12:02 PM
From cold these need the choke fully out and do not press the accelerator pedal, from warm choke in and half depress the pedal and hot choke in and fully depress the pedal.

They are easy engines to flood.

Leeboo
13-01-08, 01:23 PM
Dexter, cheers lol. No it doesn't attempt to fire anymore, I have tried it on 2 or 3 separate occasions, but the battery is weak and so it has gone flat.

It does seem like it is starved of petrol because nothing happens when you turn it over. I will try you're method once I get my jumpleads back.

Shaun, yes the accelorator pedal makes the car cut out more than anything at cold, once its started, but giving it a few touches helps the car start in the first place. Yea they are very easy to flood lol, as I found out. Cheers.

Any more suggestions welcome

nova lod.
13-01-08, 01:28 PM
Dexter, cheers lol. No it doesn't attempt to fire anymore, I have tried it on 2 or 3 separate occasions, but the battery is weak and so it has gone flat.

It does seem like it is starved of petrol because nothing happens when you turn it over. I will try you're method once I get my jumpleads back.

Shaun, yes the accelorator pedal makes the car cut out more than anything at cold, once its started, but giving it a few touches helps the car start in the first place. Yea they are very easy to flood lol, as I found out. Cheers.

Any more suggestions welcome
check your points or condensor mate bad for giving you probs also is she sparking ok

Leeboo
13-01-08, 01:38 PM
Cheers. Points? Do you mean inside the dizzy? Well it was sparking ok a matter of minutes before this happened lol, it was only firing on 3 but then 4 cylinders once it opened her out a bit. I have replaced the oil + filter, coolant, plugs etc.

Just remembered, should I squirt some petrol down the carb incase its starved? Or is this adviseable?

Dave.
13-01-08, 05:01 PM
From cold these need the choke fully out and do not press the accelerator pedal, from warm choke in and half depress the pedal and hot choke in and fully depress the pedal.

They are easy engines to flood.

when i start mine from cold, it needs about half choke, and from warm it just starts up with no pedal or choke atall.

Leeboo
13-01-08, 07:19 PM
Yea xXx_Nova_xXx, mines much the same when its not giving me trouble like now lol.

p.s. I have posted a progress thread but can't put up pics til I get 15 comments.

meritlover
14-01-08, 10:11 AM
perhaps you have over tightened the pipe clamp and prolapsed the internals of the pipe (as these are of a lot of years old)
if you put a few teaspoons of petrol down the throte of the carb and start it. if it will run like an engine for few seconds then the fuel is not geting to the carb. also a simple check can be to look at the accel pump jet and pump the throttle. if there is no squirt...then theres is not a fuel drop in the carb :( and you must find the reason for this.
a fludded engine can be rectufied by removing choke from engine and cranking engine with 100% full throttle to give max air to the engine to ignite the over richened fuel in the cylinder can/tube to fire thie pistons. it is these simple features that make the engine of a 1.0 ohv run soo simply.
as for the points. if the nice man did not interfere with the points whilst he tightend up the pipe then why would it be of a serios problem now? perhaps it is the cause but it is often not likely to be the cause. perhaps try removing a plug to check for wet fuelness and sparkings.

Please.

Leeboo
14-01-08, 06:16 PM
Thanks meritlover, yes I had thought that the internals might have collapsed but if that had been the case then the pipe would no longer be tight, I think.

Anyway, I left the car until this evening and jump started it of mothers turf burner mondeo and it fired first time, with no hesitation ata ll, like it usually does! :thumb:

I 'm not sure what the intial cause was, but sorted now. I'm very grateful for the comments!!