PDA

View Full Version : e16se track car problem

stevei
12-01-08, 05:25 PM
Just after a few ideas people. Having finished the wiring on the nova the time came to see if it will start. Knowing the fact the car will run high compession as the B+ spec head has had a lot skimmed of it. you can see were it has gone down to where the plugs come out on the underside of the head. The battery was fully charged and drop tested, its okay if a bit small. the engine won't turn over propely, really stuggles. so i took the plugs out and put a bit of oil in the bores. turned it over for a while with the plugs out. it spins fast as you would expect, but freeley. so to cancel the battery out i added a snap on jumper pack ( will start anything! ) still the same! turns over a bit and then stops! so i removed the plugs and did a compession test. first on cylinder number 4. as soon as i started cranking it is spins and stuggles, i kept it going until the starter was smelling of scalextric! it managed 144psi. i think the reading is quite normal. my thoughts are:

maby the starter motor is weak? the starter is also of a 1.4sr and maby its not powerful enough?

any thoughts guys?

ste

Adam
12-01-08, 05:45 PM
Were you doing the compression test with all the plugs removed?

Check the ignition timing isn't mega advanced and locking the engine as the pistons go towards tdc.

stevei
12-01-08, 07:05 PM
all the plugs were out and the throttle was wedged open when i carry out the compression test.

There does seem to be a tight spot when turning over, i asume when its at tdc. How can i check to see if its mega advanced?

cheers

Adam
12-01-08, 07:13 PM
Hmm, is the tight spot still there with the plugs removed tho?

Using a timing light.

stevei
12-01-08, 08:01 PM
tight spots pritty much gone when the plugs are out.

i need it to run or turn over al least to use a timimg light shurley?!?

ste

mowgli
12-01-08, 08:35 PM
try tow starting it. mine simply would not start after a head gasket swap once, so I gave it a tow, it started straight away. after stopping it, it restarted on the battery with no problems. I have no idea why it did it, but it worked.

I take it the cam timing is ok

stevei
13-01-08, 01:48 PM
the cam timing is just set as standard, at the middle mark on the vernier.

_JH_
13-01-08, 09:02 PM
Can you turn it over by hand?

stevei
13-01-08, 10:27 PM
yeah it turns over by hand okay

meritlover
14-01-08, 09:47 AM
it may be that a winding in the motor has burned O/C. or the engine earth is not enough to crank the engine under the load of the compression. it would be a wise man to think simple first before going in to depth.
try a temp earth lead with a jump wire from the -Ve to the engine block direct.
also check your static ign timing with a light. if it is ok then try pushstarting the engine if you are happy with the outgoings.

craig green
14-01-08, 10:43 AM
Beefing up the Earth's & giving it a tow seem to be a good move IMO.

Sounds like the starter motor may be on its last legs now anyway.

stevei
14-01-08, 12:05 PM
good idea about the earth, i'll try a new one. The gearbox earth strap is a bit old and fury. it has a loom earth strap i think for the lights on the n/s of the slam panel. then a altenator earth to the engine and a battery main earth in the boot to the side panel inside. don't think i've missed any.

as for towing, a good idea but at the moment the car has no brake fluid.

ste

mikey14sr
14-01-08, 12:39 PM
If you could smell burning from the starter then you've goosed it, replace it quick with a new or re-conditioned one, if it burnt enough internally and something's shorting it could start a fire by overloading the battery cable.

If the battery's in the back make sure that all the earths are at least 120A size cable (4Gauge). Might also be worth changing the +ve cable from the battery to the starter and from starter to alternator for big stuff too. Reason for doing this is that larger cable = less current drain over distance.

My 1400 was a bitch to start after it's rebuild, and the starter continued to play up afterwards due to being old, worn and not liking the 11+:1 compression.

stevei
14-01-08, 10:28 PM
its try a better gearbox earth and a new starter motor.

cheers guys

ste