PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problems And More

GTE999
11-01-08, 03:57 PM
Alrite guys, need advice.

When im driving my 89 gte there is a vibration through the steering wheel. Also the brake pedal was almost going straight to the floor so i changed the brake pads/discs adjusted the pedal and have also had the wheels re balanced. The pedal works fine but their is still a vibration through the steering wheel when driving at high (legal) speeds and also when braking. Any ideas????????

Also!!

my speedo cable snapped a couple of weeks ago so i replaced it and when i was there bought new clocks just for the hell of it. The problem is that there is a constant ticking noise from the cable and between about 5 - 30 mph the speedo needle kind of goes up and down about a millimetre. Ive removed and disconnected the thing loads and now have no skin left on my fingers!! What i did notice was that the last time i reconnected it i saw a rubber gromet on the bulkhead which i hadnt connected. Now i have the "ticking noise" is quieter but still there. Please help because its driving me nuts! Nothings ever easy is it?

cheers in advance.
craig

Timmy
12-01-08, 12:15 AM
have a look at wishbones (tetherbeams0 and bottom ball joint i hit a curb in my old nova hande that gave me issues, same with my gsi the tie bolt had worked lose and mullerd the wishbones, whish made it fell like a bucked wheel.
try bleeding up thae brakes if there still a bit pore,
oh regarding your ticking noise turn up the music

Welsh Dan
12-01-08, 10:45 AM
I had a few new pattern speedo cables, they all ticked. Get one from another nova/corsa from a scrapyard, or from a dealer.

Spanner check the entire front end, and check the condition of the bushes and shocks.

GTE TURBZ
13-01-08, 09:05 AM
I took the metal section out of the speedo cable housing and put loads of grease all the way through the cable and tips, and really quitened down, as you drive the car, it will quiten down even more and hopefully disapear all togther.

staggy_gsi
13-01-08, 10:28 AM
regarding the vibration through the wheel, it is a possibility that the hub could be warped/bent. had the exact same prob on my old corsa and ended up putting a new hub on it.