PDA

View Full Version : Using Too Much Fuel??

ianglanister
10-01-08, 03:35 PM
hi there ive recently bought another nova j reg gun metal grey the colour is, its a 1.2 with a manual choke anyway, i picked it up on saturday put 10pound petrol in it, then since then ive put a futher ?40 in it and with that ?40 ive done around 160miles and its on the red again is it about right the mileage etc to the money? or could there be a problem? thanks ian

mikeoxford
10-01-08, 03:38 PM
dosent sound too good on fuel to me. are you using manual choke much over the winter?

id suggest taking a spark plug out to see if it is black and sooty. this will tell you the engine is getting too much fuel or not igniting correctly.

at the rate your getting through fuel id check something more fundamental like corrosion around the fuel tank where the filler goes in!

ianglanister
10-01-08, 03:43 PM
the car is spot on not much rust if any what we can see its done 66k averaging 3k a yr looked to be owned by a old man/lady, biggest jump in the history ive got is when the last owner had it where its done 8k in a yr. yes im using the choke every morning and just had to use it to get home from work as its cold its usualy ok after a run in the morning to work. ive got history of mots since 20k

mikeoxford
10-01-08, 03:45 PM
if the fuel isnt physically leaking out the tank, you should check the spark plug to see what condition they are in this will tell you whats going on inside the engine.

michael squeak
10-01-08, 03:58 PM
mine was doing that, i found a split in the fuel line going to the carb. check along the fuel lines,

Welsh Dan
10-01-08, 04:32 PM
You should turn the choke off as soon as the heaters start to blow warm aswell.

mikeoxford
10-01-08, 04:40 PM
mine was doing that, i found a split in the fuel line going to the carb. check along the fuel lines,

forgot the obvious lol :wall:

craig green
10-01-08, 04:42 PM
Surely it'd smell of fuel if it was leaking???

Even a leak at the tank will stink the cabin out... heavy right foot? LOL

NovaLad
10-01-08, 04:47 PM
My nova goes through fuel quicker than my mates 07 reg 1.4 honda jaz and allways smells of petrol ... is their something wrong with mine too?

I just thought it was gulping it down because it had been off road for 9 month.

vaughanmc
10-01-08, 04:49 PM
Your car doesn't have a cat though mate thats why it will go through a bit more...

NovaLad
10-01-08, 04:52 PM
Well that's just ghey lol!

EDIT:- Well am gunna get a dog for it then.

vaughanmc
10-01-08, 04:56 PM
Thats too far, not even funny! lol

Riggy
10-01-08, 07:14 PM
lol if you susepct that you may have a leak, just replace the full lines front to back , you can get petrol hose for about ?1 a meter atleast you will know your lines are sound then

Steve
10-01-08, 07:57 PM
My 1200 when I bought it had 29k on it but it was using way too much fuel, took it down the garage for a tune , ?30 later it ran miles better and petrol consumption was way better, if its only been used locally then chance are its never had a tune up or a decent service.

Stanley
10-01-08, 08:01 PM
Get under the car with a naked flame.

If the car blows up, it has a leak:thumb:

mowgli
10-01-08, 08:48 PM
the choke cable can slip on its clamp.

Get it properly set up at a decent garage, you know the sort of small place where there are blokes over the age of forty because they still know how to do carbs.