PDA

View Full Version : painting inner arches

shanemc
09-01-08, 09:14 PM
just getting round to painting the inner arches on my gte reshell,ive all the underseal stripped off down to primer,and bare metal in places,i want to use white as the car is white,i was thinking of using hammerite,just wondering has anyone any other ideas apart from hammerite,i just want a good rust proof finish,im not that keen on using schutz/stone chip,ive heard a few horror stories about it trapping in moisture in places etc.
plus should i paint the hammerite on directly over the primer and bare metal(i havnt stripped the arches back fully to bare metal,and i dont intend to!),or should i use a zinc based primer first for better adhesion?

cheers,
Shane

GRUNT 16V
10-01-08, 10:42 AM
Use Etch Primer On Bare Metal !!!!

craig green
10-01-08, 11:49 AM
Aye, use a primer. I'd definately consider putting on some stone chip over the top tbh. Hammerite & a thin layer of primer wont offer much protection from stones being flicked off a speeding tyre. I wish I'd put stone chip on mine, but the std underseal is there on most areas still.

Hammerite will need numerous coats. Buy a big tin(s). Halfrauds are a rip off btw. Wilkinsons FTW!

Dexter
10-01-08, 12:24 PM
Ftw?

SRimon
10-01-08, 12:36 PM
for the win

Stuart
10-01-08, 01:14 PM
I hammerited about 5 times, then used stone ship protection stuff (again about 5 coats) and then finally some rubbery roof seal shizzle and hammertited that lol. no rust in the arches ever

craig green
10-01-08, 01:37 PM
Roofing tar or bitumen works. Ideally if you want them Black!

shanemc
11-01-08, 06:21 PM
cheers lads,looks like ill just primer the arches and use white stonechip and paint over that with white paint