PDA

View Full Version : Nova, uprated brakes?

Aragorn
14-07-02, 09:02 PM
ive been driving my nova (saloon) 1200 for about a month now and am really not happy with the brakes they seem really spongy and compared to both my dads car and his transit they kinda suck

Ive heard u can fit astra brakes on it and am wondering what i need to fit these? calipers from scrappy and new set of front disks?

anything else? uprated master cylinder or servo?

Thanks

PS - its running on 5.5Jx14 wheels incase thats relevent

carltoncrazy
14-07-02, 09:40 PM
have you got your brakes check out by some one who does it for a living?
id just fit GTE/GSI brakes as it bolts on,
if the brake pedal touchs the floor,then bleed ya brakes,
or buy a hayes
but warning loadz of people do brake conversion,and f*** up,so if i was you get it done by a pro.

Aragorn
14-07-02, 11:13 PM
well, the car was nearly out of brake fluid - and topping it up didnt make any difference

i previously had a 1400 saloon which i crashed and the brakes on it had all been replaced when i baught it and it was just the same as my current nova

i also notice that the more weight in the car the worse they get - today i was picking up 3 mates at the train station and was experiancing etreme fade under heavy braking - although this wasnt present on the 1400, this may mean there is summat else wrong on the car but i still wanna know the deal for fitting uprated brakes to it

Dicko
14-07-02, 11:24 PM
you can get 16 brakes on, but if u have standard wheels or 14" alloys on they will not fit under them. then u can get some nova gsi ATE callipers and get some decent pads 4 them, u shouldnt get brake fade as much then.

iv swoped over my 16v brakes 2day off my old nova, and they have just started to bed in now :)

some mad nose on windscreen action coming up soon :)

Aragorn
15-07-02, 12:15 AM
ive been told they will fit under 14x5.5" at a minimum and thats what im running (i think they are astra alloys)

so procedure for fitting them?

anyone wanna link me to a guide?

Thanks

Dicko
15-07-02, 12:22 AM
very easy, loosen off the 11mm bolt that holds the brake hose in, then undo the 2 allen bolts holding the calliper on, take out the grub screw from the discs and it all shud come off, fit in reverse order (if u can put a clamp on the hose to reduce fluid loss.
bleed the brakes well after doing this and expect to use quite a bit of fluid!!

Aragorn
15-07-02, 07:36 PM
any specific parts to buy?

astra 16/cav mk3 disks (tuning.co.uk have ATE power disks for about ?60)
astra 16/cav mk3 calipers (from scrappy)
some pads for ATE calipers ( halfords or maybe livvi autoparts)

that it?

carltoncrazy
15-07-02, 07:40 PM
sorry still sounds like air in the system

Aragorn
15-07-02, 10:12 PM
the brakes are back to normal now as far as spongyness goes - the addition of the fluid must have upset it

but i still feel the brakes are inadequate - especially when carrying 3 or 4 ppl and would feel happier if it was running uprated disks etc

as with most mods - u dont have to do it but i wanna :D

once i get paid i'll take a trip to the scrapies for the calipers then i'll buy the disks etc

one thing - will i need a master cylinder or servo from the larger brakes? will the astra part fit? or will i need a nova GTE part?

thanks

neiloakley
15-07-02, 11:53 PM
keep your master cylinder mate as there all the same anyway (couple of exceptions). Just get a Nova GTE or a Td servo. There the best ones.