PDA

View Full Version : smell when starting?

bennyd
14-07-02, 02:53 PM
hi chaps

Ive got a 1.4 sr, when i start the blighter up its reakin of petrol has any one else had this,wot could it be? the smell goes once moving but i dont wanna go BOOM!! :o

Cheers ben.

carltoncrazy
14-07-02, 03:04 PM
bloody hell if u can smell petrold dont start.
i had a smaliar problem with the roting caviller on my parents drive,
get the go going run it for bout 2 mins(tho u shouldnt run with a feul leak)
the get it on axle stands and feel the feul return pipe by the tank,it could be its split,
but ya problems going be a fuel line,bet ya
ian

Dicko
14-07-02, 05:36 PM
if its when u 1st start it up dont worry, it puts in a shit load of fuel and sometimes pops a load back up the inlet and out the filter area. u can smell the vapours off it. if it still smells when running u shud worry then :)

barnes
14-07-02, 05:49 PM
if its got a weber replacement carb in they always stink of petrol.

i had twin 48's on me valver and you could have got high from sitting in the car, no petrol leaks though.

Slatter
14-07-02, 07:35 PM
Same here with my 40's

No socks on it mean i get a Nice smell of petrol!

bennyd
14-07-02, 10:21 PM
Sorted! fuel pipe between pump and carb had split at the pump end. thanks for your help anyway chaps. :wink:

d0gz_bollox
15-07-02, 02:10 PM
my tank leaks when you fill it up to the top. Well dodgy when you fill up then go park upsomewhere. and theres a stream of petrol forming under your car. no smoking in or around my car please.

carltoncrazy
15-07-02, 03:15 PM
drop your tank out and check all the welds,cant remeber how there welded,weather its vertcial or horz,ne howz drop it out,and pressure test it,i.e
fill bath with water,tank in,bug all holes in tank,bar 1,and blow thro the hole,if bubbles appear,buy new tank,
if not new pipes/filler pipes