PDA

View Full Version : Rear arch work

rob.slader
12-07-02, 09:37 PM
My rear arches were cut at each end and folded/rolled by the prevous owner. The problem is that the paint has flaked away and they are now starting to rust. The car has not had any paintwork before and the rust is not noticable unless you really look close, but up under the arch where it has been rolled up you can see rust on the panel where the paint has come away. How can I best sort this as I don't want it to start spreading back behind the bumper or up the arch? I am reluctant to paint the car as it's not had any work done before, it has the original 1400sr vynal on the bottom of the rear quarters and I don't want to have tape lines or anything noticable if it gets painted. Also don't really want to have to remove the vynal and side strips if I can help it. It's a bastard as the car is mint apart from this. :(
Hope you have some sound advice - cheers.

ade
13-07-02, 09:44 AM
if the rust is localised to the section thats been folded, the quickest way would be to grind the fold away!

Alternatively u can remove ALL rust in that area (hopefully it is just on the inner roll and not spread onto the outer area), apply rust inhibitor, come form of very good quality metal primer (hammerite is a good cheap option), then spray stone chip protection paint, then (to match the vynal) paint with black satin hammerite.

That only works if the rust is localised in to rolled part. If its spread outside and under the vynal you;ll have to get the vynal off coz it'll be hiding more than its letting on and you must get all the rust or you'll never stop it. U can buy new vynal from vauxhall but its not cheap. Remove vynal with heat gun on low setting or hair dryer on hot (heat gun is easier - watch paint job though)

Ade
:)

rob.slader
13-07-02, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the reply - Its only on the fold, so i will treat it and then use some black underseal to cover and protect it. luckily my car is black so won't look out of place!

Cheers.