PDA

View Full Version : Twin Charge = Twin Cooler?

Mike
05-01-08, 08:40 PM
Twin Charged engines, i take it they have two intercoolers much the same as a TT 300ZX?

Stuart
05-01-08, 10:35 PM
I guess it depends how the plumbing is setup... IE if they are in series then I think you can run one cooler. But if they are in parallel then you need one per charger

Mike
06-01-08, 09:45 AM
Thanks Stu :D

I just though being as at some point on a Twin Charge engine, the Turbo and the Supercharger will invetibly be running different boost pressures under load, so I'd imagine in theory they would need a cooler each?

Stuart
06-01-08, 09:49 AM
ahhhh with a compound charged engine (turbo and supercharger), there is a valve (read that as throttle body) which turns off the flow of air from the charger not being used (ie S/C low down, Turbo high up) so you only need one cooler

Mike
06-01-08, 09:52 AM
^ just what i wanted to hear :D

I dont suppose you'd happen to know the "proper" name of said valve Stu?

Stuart
06-01-08, 11:25 AM
something like a K gate is in the back of my mind.... might not be right but I know Ive heard it before lol

or google the S4 Lancia and see if its got any more info

Paul
06-01-08, 03:05 PM
random question but related to twin charge, was there ever a proto type Vectra GSTi, that had supercharger+turbocharger?

Paul

Ste L
06-01-08, 03:19 PM
I guess it depends how the plumbing is setup... IE if they are in series then I think you can run one cooler. But if they are in parallel then you need one per charger

im guessing,

by "in series" you mean, like say on a v6, a turbo on front and rear manifold's..

and "in parallel" say like a big and small one's same manfiold?

:confused:

Stuart
06-01-08, 04:51 PM
other way round ste.

although does depend how you feed the air into the engine.

Ste L
06-01-08, 05:06 PM
oh yea, my mistake :lol:
i did mean it the other way...

as in series, runing inline, and parallel - side by side