PDA

View Full Version : clutch change

LUV2XLR8
05-01-08, 03:06 PM
ok i was out messing about giving the car some beans (in the middle of nowhere) at a hairpin i put it into first doing about 25 and then i had no drive and i couldnt get in gear.
after taking the plate off under the clutch i found the clutch plate to be in peices
would this be my problem? as i thought the clutch went but then i managed to get it into 1st and drive for a few hundred yards.
then i tried to match the revs and change gear and after that it had no drive at all.
clutch or box?
and is it possable to change the clutch, thrust bearing and pressure plate with the box still in the bay?

LUV2XLR8
05-01-08, 04:09 PM
anyone changed a clutch before?

R1CH
05-01-08, 04:29 PM
If theres an inspection plate on the gearbox then yes, its possible to change it with the engine / box in place, only other thing you've gotta do is slide the input shaft out the side of the box.

LUV2XLR8
05-01-08, 04:42 PM
i see is that the drive shaft?

Adam
05-01-08, 05:04 PM
No.

No need touch the drive shafts.
If its a 5spd box you will have to remove the end cover plate(pass wheel arch), then get a splined bit, remove the input shaft bolt, then the circlip.
And then slide the shaft out.

They are difficult to remove tho. Need a rare m7 thread to pull them out.

R1CH
05-01-08, 05:07 PM
No its the input shaft !!
Its what conects the gearbox to the crank in the engine, theres usually some kind of cover on the end off the gearbox (inside of wheel arch), remove that then theres usually a bolt and circlip over the end of the input shaft, you'll have to screw a long bolt in the end then use a slide hammer behind the bolt to pull it out.
You not got a Haynes manual ? if not buy one !!

R1CH
05-01-08, 05:08 PM
Beat me to it, need to type faster !!

LUV2XLR8
05-01-08, 06:02 PM
sorted, i have an f10 4 speed still have the input shaft? aive been told to remove this before but never had to when changing the gear box

Adam
05-01-08, 06:05 PM
You dont need remove it when removing the gearbox.

If 4spd, ignore what i said about an end plate. You will need remove a big(36+ mm) screw plug in the end of the box.