PDA

View Full Version : engine swap/insurance

FUSION X16XE
04-01-08, 06:09 PM
when putting a larger engine in a car how do they asses the insurance group? i herd it was from the car you got the engine from so if i got quoted ?2500 for a 1.0 nova and ?2600 for a corsa sport 1.4 16v could i then put that engine in my nova and only pay a extra ?100? :confused::confused:

Adam
04-01-08, 06:16 PM
In some cases yeah.

Thats how mine is done through HIC

FUSION X16XE
04-01-08, 06:25 PM
that is great news cheers adam, same as putting in a c16xe into a 1.0 carb shell? do i have to do anythink to the gear shifter as its only a 4speed atm?

burgo
04-01-08, 06:26 PM
ring and confirm that is how they work it out first before planning the engine conversion

Iain
04-01-08, 06:27 PM
Best off checking with an insurance company before doing the conversion.

Mike
04-01-08, 06:27 PM
The gearshifter should be fine, as the shifter can only go where the mechanicals in the box can, therefore if its a 5 spd box the shifter will still work even though it used to be a 4 spd motor

FUSION X16XE
04-01-08, 06:36 PM
yes i no lol dont go and buy all the parts then realise they wont insure me, ill check 2morow. were do i take the car when its had the engine installed? ive just been told that id have to trailor it to a different mot station? any ideas?

Mike
04-01-08, 06:41 PM
^ WTF trailer it?

Will you fcuk, fit the engine, if your not so sure about your skills get it into a a good garage and get them to double check everything if you like, send of the V5C with the new engine number and cc on and hey presto, you get stung for more road tax lol lol

FUSION X16XE
04-01-08, 07:42 PM
fair enuf just somethink my mate thought as its not a standard car, kinda like a kit car. that makes things easier cheers lad ill see what quinn have to say.

Mike
04-01-08, 07:43 PM
fair enuf just somethink my mate thought as its not a standard car, kinda like a kit car. that makes things easier cheers lad ill see what quinn have to say.

Your mates thinking of a VIC check, something completly different (and you dont even need a trailor for them!)

FUSION X16XE
04-01-08, 07:54 PM
whats a vic check? ive seen somthink about it before on a car is born

Mike
04-01-08, 07:56 PM
Vehicle Identification Check - a pain in the fecking @rse

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_4022107

FUSION X16XE
04-01-08, 08:01 PM
cheers matey

General Baxter
04-01-08, 09:27 PM
is that ?2500 quote correct or made up, how old are you ?

AlanH
04-01-08, 09:59 PM
v.i.c. check is a nightmare, done a few accident damaged motors and had 2 take them. took him 30mins and all the noob did was check the engine numbers, chassis numbers and made sure the part repaired was'nt falling off lol. no need for an engine onversion tho as theres no major structural changes. by 'i'll see what quinn say' do u mean quinn direct insurance? im with them atm coz mines a 'standard 1.2' but once the valvers in they refuse to insure me lol, hate modified cars the bunch of hitlers

FUSION X16XE
05-01-08, 12:37 AM
baxter i pay about ?2485 a year including my deposit on a monthly jobbie, fcukin shizzle init

FUSION X16XE
05-01-08, 12:39 AM
and i dont no if any body saw the "a car is born" when he made a cobra rep i think it was and he had to get it checked thats what we were thinking about.

stevie1
05-01-08, 02:05 AM
by 'i'll see what quinn say' do u mean quinn direct insurance? im with them atm coz mines a 'standard 1.2' but once the valvers in they refuse to insure me lol, hate modified cars the bunch of hitlers
im insured with quinns aswell but in northern ireland on a 100bhp bora,when i try an get a quote on anything that is over 110bhp they wont giv me a quote,but i have a friend that works in quinns that told me that he could get me insurance on ANY car i wanted.he said there is some codes that you put in so that you can insure any car.

Jack
05-01-08, 11:24 AM
In some cases yeah.

Thats how mine is done through HIC
I didn't think insurance companies did that any more? Mainly as people purposefully chose the car with the lowest insurance group - Cavalier LS 16v anyone? lol

I had a quote from HIC for an Astra GTE and it was considerably cheaper than the nova (with same engine).

Steve
05-01-08, 11:38 AM
and i dont no if any body saw the "a car is born" when he made a cobra rep i think it was and he had to get it checked thats what we were thinking about.
Yeah that only applies to a kit car I believe, as its built by someone in the garage and they need to make sure that it wont fall apart when your going down the road in it! lol

Check with your insurance company about the engine change and make sure you ring round, HIC are good but ive found that adrian flux do it a bit cheaper.

Jack
05-01-08, 11:53 AM
Flux own HIC, they're now the same company but have retained different names so people thing they're different (so if you insure with HIC, Flux still get your money). You should theoretically get the same quotes from both, but in practice you might get differences. Staff muppet factor lol

matt_vaughan
05-01-08, 04:21 PM
You guys might be thinking of the SVA test, kit cars have to go through that. Its a right pain in the **** because they get really anal about absolutely everything. My dad's Seven got failed one time because the bonnet clips were protruding the bonnet, supposedly a padestrian would survive being smacked by the front wheel and the suspension, then surprisingly get ripped apart by a 2 inche long bonnet clip! Crazy!