PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers (Spax)... Ride quality?

Matt
04-01-08, 02:32 PM
Think I'm going to buy some Spax RSX coilovers to lower my Nova TD.

This seems the only way I'm going to get the ride height I want as I've tried various springs with uprated shocks and can't get it how I want atall!

Just wondering what the ride quality is like with the Spax setup. I won't be winding them right down (50-60mm tops). Is it really uncomfortable with the coilovers? Does the car bang like f!ck even over small bumps etc?

This is my everyday car so it needs to bareable lol

Cheers, Matt

Jack
04-01-08, 03:14 PM
Hard.

Mind you I can't compare them to other coilover types, but I found them - even on the softest setting - to be rather solid.

Iain
04-01-08, 03:21 PM
Am I right in thinking the Spax coilovers have a separate shock and spring combo on the rear? You may want to double check that it's ride height adjustable on the rear.

Ste L
04-01-08, 03:27 PM
yea, spax rsx are fix at 60mm rear, and height adjustable 40-80 front..

i've got them on mine, setup quite stiff, but are still quite comfy, you can set on on the softest setting, and they feel as soft as standard too :)

Matt
04-01-08, 03:32 PM
Hard.

Mind you I can't compare them to other coilover types, but I found them - even on the softest setting - to be rather solid.

Hmm... doesn't sound too appealing if they're rock solid, although the roads around here aren't too bad.

Am I right in thinking the Spax coilovers have a separate shock and spring combo on the rear? You may want to double check that it's ride height adjustable on the rear.

Yeah it's shocks and springs on the rear with the Spax kit. This is ok though as the back isn't a problem. It's just the front where I need the adjustability due to weight of the diesel.

Matt
04-01-08, 03:35 PM
Cheers Ste, think I'm gonna have to get me a set!

burgo
04-01-08, 03:39 PM
mine rock hard but it is proper slammed, im sure if i raised it abit that would help

Clean 2.0 nova
04-01-08, 03:41 PM
Cheers Ste, think I'm gonna have to get me a set!

I bought my RSX kit with additional uprated springs for just under ?500 at POTN.com - cheapest around I found. - Car hasn't been used yet so can't comment on ride.

Matt
04-01-08, 03:45 PM
I bought my RSX kit with additional uprated springs for just under ?500 at POTN.com - cheapest around I found. - Car hasn't been used yet so can't comment on ride.

Ta, will have a look and see :thumb:

Clean 2.0 nova
04-01-08, 03:49 PM
They are muppets at POTN though, you have to drill into them what you want.

burgo
04-01-08, 03:51 PM
try ebay usually see them on there cheap. im sure i saw them somewhere new for ?400 aswell

Matt
04-01-08, 03:58 PM
try ebay usually see them on there cheap. im sure i saw them somewhere new for ?400 aswell

I'm bidding on a set on ebay now. Will have a shop around for a new set if I don't win them.

:)

craig green
04-01-08, 04:54 PM
I'd be tempted to use AVO or GAZ, purely because the spring is a more common diameter. With the diesel I think you will want a higher poundage spring.

I'd sooner have the 2.5" springs rather than the 1.9 (or whatever it is) springs on the SPAX. The diesel lump is very heavy.

Its also important to use the spring pundage to adjust the ride & not rely on adjusting the damper to dial out any bounce etc. This will kill the dampers.

tony k
04-01-08, 05:32 PM
i would go with gaz mate if you do ask to speak to mark there he sure knows his stuff

Rexy
04-01-08, 05:39 PM
You can get these for ?250 i've had two pairs now both for novas and never paid more than ?250 a set. If you set them to fully rock hard then they are rock hard if u set them to soft then they are pretty soft and comfy.

they handle pretty well and can take some abuse, uprate the springs to 250lbf or 280lbf and they are fine for valvers as well.

The rears are just the same setup as usual but with added adjustable dampers.

as said, if u can get hold of a set for ?250 go for the spax, if not konigsports from FK will suit you as they have helper springs and also an adjustable setup at the rear.

Avo's are the true ones the nova boys love and they are fully adjustable all round and are rather nice for both road and track use.

Ste L
04-01-08, 05:39 PM
I'd be tempted to use AVO or GAZ, purely because the spring is a more common diameter. With the diesel I think you will want a higher poundage spring.

if using a spax kit you can still buy different poundage spring's from spax for ?25 each spring

Matt
04-01-08, 06:04 PM
Cheers, think I'm going to get the RSX kit as they seem good value for money and then uprate the springs to 250lbf if needed.

Craig - You're quite right about the diesel lump, seems to weigh a tonne... I'm running 2.0L courtney springs at the minute as with everything else I've tried the front just sinks right down so the arch rests on top of the tyre!
Trouble is it's around standard height on the front now with the courtneys.

R1CH
04-01-08, 06:28 PM
Do you not reckon it'd be better getting it running and that new cross member in first before spending ??? on coilovers ???
lol

Matt
04-01-08, 06:45 PM
lol, need Tom to get his **** into gear and cut the front out! I've got everything I need to repair it sitting here! Plus I've got a bit of money reserved from christmas so I thought it was about time I did something about that rediculous suspension.

Thinks he's going to be doing it this weekend anyways so shouldn't be too long hopefully! You not fancy doing it with him and speeding the job up a bit!?

R1CH
04-01-08, 06:53 PM
Thinks he's going to be doing it this weekend anyways so shouldn't be too long hopefully! You not fancy doing it with him and speeding the job up a bit!?

We'll see !!