PDA

View Full Version : wing mirror cover removal ....

MK1-GTE
04-01-08, 11:12 AM
due to some kind tw@t forcing the wife into a hedge but still managing to smash our mirror cover off ....im needing a little advice please ...

have a spare set of mirrors in the shed but would like to spray them up white to match the car ..

having trouble removing the covers and dont want to damage them ...

anyone able to tell me the best way to remove them please ?:thumb:

cheers al

Mint FRST
04-01-08, 11:38 AM
Take you have took the mirror glass out? If not do so and force the triangular tabs down with a blade or similar.

MK1-GTE
04-01-08, 11:59 AM
ahh cheers didnt know had to take the glass out .....

presume that`s a question of ball n socket fixing ???

tom_beverley
04-01-08, 12:37 PM
You don't need to take the glass out. i ususally found that if you squeeze top and bottom whilst joggling the cover you should be able to remove it. Otherwise like above stated, use something to prise the tabs down.

Thing is, they are made of old plastic which gets brittle, so just use the least force possible and just be patient otherwise you may break off the securing tabs.

MK1-GTE
04-01-08, 12:41 PM
ok thanks guys.... shall have a look n hopefully manage to not break anything lol

Jack
04-01-08, 12:46 PM
With cunning application of masking tape and newspaper you can spray them without separating them from the rest of the unit.

MK1-GTE
04-01-08, 01:28 PM
i did start on that idea but thought naa as there where blue and wanted to get all into the edges etc ..:D..

managed to pop the mirrors off and got to the little clip bits and now the covers are off (in 1 piece too ...):thumb:

thanks again :) can get them painted up now ...

Novasport
04-01-08, 05:57 PM
Little tip, make sure the plastic is not too cold as it make it even more brittle. Leave it somewhere warm, should hopfully stop it cracking.
Screw the mirror to to car and whack the cap backwards to free off the ball joint, then you can grab edge of cap and pull it off.