PDA

View Full Version : Nova Gte Heating???

RYAN16V
04-01-08, 09:39 AM
Hi Guys

I got a bit of a problem!!!

When i got my heating on the windsceen and side fans the heating does'nt get as hot as it should and also when i change to the central fans the air coming from there is freezing like i got air con ha!!!

Please tell me it aint a headgasket???

regards

Ryan

Dexter
04-01-08, 10:24 AM
Lol mate you've just put me in a better mood for the day!

More than likely it isnt your headgasket.

You probably just havnt started your engine thats all.

If you have then check your coolant level and also check the heater matrix which will probably involve taking the dash off. It could be blocked. If air is being blown into the car hot or cold the fan should be fine.

Your most likely cause is that there are small plastic crappy clips that hold the metal cable for the heating and fan direction control. look on the passengerside area under the dash but infront of the gearstick difficult to describebut im sure someone can describe it better. If they are broken you can move the cable manually using you hand i,e, push it or pul it till you get the temperature you want. Then fix it!

tom_beverley
04-01-08, 10:47 AM
The central vents never blow hot air anyway, but the others should.

Is it blowing air at all or is it just not getting hot?

RYAN16V
04-01-08, 12:27 PM
ita gettin warm but not what id expect, maybe itd me i only just come back to novas from modern cars so maybe its just how its ment to be???

tom_beverley
04-01-08, 12:45 PM
It should still get hot... My previous Nova had awesome heaters, they would be very hot in no time at all whilst my van's heaters are not so good, they are similar to yours in that they only get warm.

I think it will be something to do with the water flow and the heater matrix, probably being old and worn, or it may be partly blocked. Its a long winded job though and I don't think there is a way to replace it without removing the dash.

craig green
04-01-08, 01:07 PM
Dash out to do matrix tbh. Easy on a mk1 though.

New ones are available for ?30ish which makes far more sense than spending hours flushing an old one.

www.buypartsby.co.uk (http://www.buypartsby.co.uk)

Steve
04-01-08, 02:06 PM
Ive got a similar problem, mines stopped blowing out any hot air at all, ive flushed the system through shed-loads of times, and used rad flush but its still the same.

Not sure on mk2s but ive done one on a mk1 before and its a right pain.

Good luck.

tom_beverley
04-01-08, 02:53 PM
^^ Yours sounds like the blower motor has gone.

EDIT sorry, misread post

ELLIS GSI
04-01-08, 04:38 PM
mine blows only just warm. but not very fast. and the knob that changes it from the vents to the windscreen doesnt seem to do much. could that be the small plastic crappy clips