PDA

View Full Version : piston rings

gammienov16v
04-01-08, 12:46 AM
in the morning im taking the cylinder head off a mates 2.0l 8v nov, so it can be skimed ect, but just lately his been using a lot of oil. ive been told that the piston ring could be on there way out.

All i need to no is if its ok to drop a littel oil in the bore's wen the the cylinder head is off. to see if it seep's past the rings into the bottom of the engine.

or if anyone has any sugestion i would realy greatfull.

happy new year to all

Adam
04-01-08, 12:52 AM
Using oil can be quite a few things.(Rings, Stem seals, headgasket, leak)
Best way to test is a compression test, engine needs be in one piece for that.

williams
04-01-08, 01:06 AM
do a leak down test with and without a little oil down the bores. a bit better than a compression test.
if it leaks without oil and not asmuch with oil it will prob be the rings.

gammienov16v
04-01-08, 01:08 AM
im going to do the stem seals and headgasket 2morrow, ive orready cheaked for a leak i had it on my mate ramp at his unit.

i will get a compression test done before touching the engine the tomorrow,

thanks for the advice ad its much apprecaited thanks.

gammienov16v
04-01-08, 01:11 AM
do a leak down test with and without a little oil down the bores. a bit better than a compression test.
if it leaks without oil and not asmuch with oil it will prob be the rings.

could you just explain how to do that mate thanks.

williams
04-01-08, 01:28 AM
like a compression test. you screw it into the plug socket, have the piston at TDC, then fill it with air (tool is attatchd to air line), then it will show on the gauge if its holding the pressure or if its leaking out.
just with a compression test, you cna still sometimes make decent compression with dead rings, thats what was happening with mine. burning oil above 4k rpm, compression test was fine but it lost pressure when doing a leakdown test on cylinder 1.

gammienov16v
04-01-08, 02:22 AM
like a compression test. you screw it into the plug socket, have the piston at TDC, then fill it with air (tool is attatchd to air line), then it will show on the gauge if its holding the pressure or if its leaking out.
just with a compression test, you cna still sometimes make decent compression with dead rings, thats what was happening with mine. burning oil above 4k rpm, compression test was fine but it lost pressure when doing a leakdown test on cylinder 1.ohhh nice one mate i get wot you mean, i will give that a go aswell i will defantly no then.

thanks for explaining:thumb: