PDA

View Full Version : Stop and Go (brakes and clutch)

Ash
03-01-08, 07:58 PM
Go. Clutch.

Im after a paddle clutch for my 1.6 8v, can anyone recommend anything? I think I'm looking for a sprung plate...
How does the number of paddles affect the 'bite'/use? Bit of a grey area for me...

Stop. Brakes.

Whats the smallest wheel you can run with 288mm brakes?

Also a long shot, does anyone know if an Astra 16v servo and M/C will fit the nova's standard balance bar? I can get the bracket made up no problem, it's just fitting. ie. the bracket may need to be longer/shorter or I need some other astra parts...?

Cheers

brucer
03-01-08, 09:57 PM
smallest wheel i was told is a 15inch. an i want to know some more bout clutches for my gte

tom_beverley
04-01-08, 09:39 AM
For clutches you should be looking at a four paddle one really, I'd assume it offers a little more bite and stability over the three paddle versions. Paddle clutches offer much more bite and clamp pressure over standard clutches and can take a bit of getting used to, especially when stop/starting in traffic as its 'all or nothing' with little movement between the two.

Look at manufacturers like Helix, Sachs, Harry Hockley and purchase the full kit of plate and cover. Also a new release bearing would be handy and don't forget the friction plates also wear out a lot faster but its only ?30-?40 to get them re-lined.

Hope that helps.

craig green
04-01-08, 01:19 PM
You can fit a Cav or Astra servo & more importantly M/C to the Novas std servo mount. You will likely need to have a custom spacer made up to align it properly to the Nova linkage.

I know (R1CH) Rich has a Cav turbo setup on his Nova & I've seen the shots of it somewhere on here.

craig green
04-01-08, 01:21 PM
BINGO!

1st search.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69640&highlight=brake+servo

Ash
04-01-08, 06:21 PM
Cheers Tom, From what I've heard and read the 3 paddle is more of and on/off operation, which makes sence really.

How long would a standard clutch last with roughly 50% more power through it? Is it worth even bothering with? As long as it can get me round whilst it's being setup and to the PNG R/R day and back i'll be happy. lol

You can fit a Cav or Astra servo & more importantly M/C to the Novas std servo mount. You will likely need to have a custom spacer made up to align it properly to the Nova linkage.

I know (R1CH) Rich has a Cav turbo setup on his Nova & I've seen the shots of it somewhere on here.

Brillant! Cheers CG I knew i'd seen it some where before. I was have a larger M/C but knew it could only be done with a differant servo. I need a new servo anyway, bracket will be FOC and good excuse to have braided lines.

Nick
04-01-08, 09:37 PM
How long would a standard clutch last with roughly 50% more power through it? Is it worth even bothering with? As long as it can get me round whilst it's being setup and to the PNG R/R day and back i'll be happy. lol

Erm i'm just running a Helix Organic Clutch (I think it's a helix) . Wasn't too expensive at all and it's worked fine up untill now !

Saying that, i'l definetly go for a paddle next. So maybe just get one to start with

tom_beverley
05-01-08, 06:45 PM
Ash, it depends on how much use your current clutch has had. I'd assume it would be ok for a while if its in good condition and as long as it isn't given loads of stick. If your not sure, then like Nick says, the uprated clutches are decent too.

I've got a four paddle clutch but haven't been able to test it yet, but I just thought 'if I want one eventually I may aswell just buy one now'

It all depends on what you'll be using the car for and what you're prepared to deal with, i.e. I wouldn't fancy the idea of being in traffic everyday with a paddle clutch but it would be great addition on track.