PDA

View Full Version : help

boyle_46
02-01-08, 08:42 PM
well i know this might seem a stupid question but would any one know a bitt about the toyota starlet gt turbos ? im thinking coochi might but aww well , we were coming home from work tonight and a clio sport pulled up beside us with 4 chavs listning to thier hardcore :roll: beats revving the **** out of it , so my mate waited for the light chance and put the boot down the clio was no where to be seen but the starlet poped sounded like a backfire but it wasn't it puffed out a heap of smoke and lost boost we pulled over and when ticking over the car was smoking heavily , anyone got a clue as to what might have gone wrong im thinking blown the turbo but im in no way a mechanic

Jack
02-01-08, 08:48 PM
What colour was the smoke?

What error codes are there?

Could have been fuel cut (does it have aftermarket exhaust and a decat?), but smoke and lack of pressure sounds like the turbo has died a death.

paddy138
02-01-08, 09:14 PM
probaly blew the turbo

boyle_46
02-01-08, 10:48 PM
it was black smoke it just did not want to go anymore if you know what i mean , the dump valve now seems to stick open and it is releasing boost , would a turbo for one of thoose be expensive ?

Jack
02-01-08, 11:26 PM
Thats... odd, the DV sticking open. The DV is opened by negative pressure in the inlet manifold when the throttle is closed, so if thats staying open all the time it means either the hose from DV > TB has split, or something is wrong in the TB lol

Take the turbo off and look for oil in the intake side, check for excessive play in the shaft.

Go check the error codes too. What year starlet is it? If its pre ~97 it should have a diagnostics port instead of crappy ODBCII so you can manually check the codes.

If the car doesn't want to go any more, the ecu has probably put it in limp mode

boyle_46
02-01-08, 11:40 PM
hmm its a 1992 , think jamie just wanted to get it home he was a bitt anxious it happened in ballyclare and we are from lisburn so a long journey the dv had a leak RJ the hose had split if you put your boot down it would go pretty good and then it would go off like a rocket but know we just think the turbo is knackered best bet for us is to head up to portadown to eddie torrences ( toyota breakers yard only ) to get one if that fails think he is just going to drive it untill it makes another bigger big bang

stevie1
03-01-08, 01:41 AM
i had a glanza for a while and the engine bust,?500+vat out of eddie torrences and that was just the engine no turbo are nothing.parts arent cheap for that jap s**t.

Jack
03-01-08, 08:31 AM
?500 for a 4E-FTE is about right, I'm assuming that was second hand? Turbo for them will be fairly cheap too.

Stuart
03-01-08, 08:53 AM
OBDII is great, can do loads to ECU's with it.... with the right tools ;)