PDA

View Full Version : roll cage fitting

brucer
02-01-08, 06:54 PM
hey guys. i bought a rear cage for my nova last year and had lots of trouble fitting it.so after several attempts i gave up.

as my nova is off the road again i want to get it fitted this time.

whats the easiest way to get it in??

as it seemed too tall to stand correctly what can i do?

bought the cage from roll centre if any body else has got one from them have they experienced the same?

thanks for any help.

R1CH
02-01-08, 07:02 PM
I've got a 6 point RollCentre cage had no probs with it at all. It does sit very close to the roof tho so if you've still got the roof lining its gonna be tight.
Also the plates that weld to the floor, weld them underneath the car instead of on the inside, that'll give you another 5 - 6mm clearence.

Rich

Novasport
02-01-08, 07:25 PM
Which way are you putting it in? If you put it in with the front part face down and try to roll it backwards it will hit the roof.
You need to put it in leaning backwards and bring the back feet up over the rear seat then upto arches as you slide it back into place.

I take it you have taken all the seats out?

If you are still having trouble I can have a look this weekend

Rexy
02-01-08, 09:24 PM
take that offer up lol :D

letvalva
02-01-08, 09:32 PM
is it a non sunroof style cage , and the car has a sun roof??

brucer
02-01-08, 10:16 PM
thanks for the offer.but the car is at work which is 13miles away from my house and the wheels.lol.ill give it another go tomorrow.

yeh all seats out and head liner is in.which ideally i wanted to keep.wat about cutting some off the legs and then welding them back on??

thanks for the advice guys

R1CH
02-01-08, 10:28 PM
Take it your not trying to fit it over the carpet ??
If its the same cage as mine (can't see them doing different Nova ones) then you'll struggle to fit it with the headlining in, reckon theres about 5mm clearance between mine and the roof at either side.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/Nova/DSC00923.jpg

You could chop a bit off the legs ... bit drastic like but if you don't wanna loose the headling.
Is it just that it seems to tall to fit ?

brucer
02-01-08, 11:06 PM
yeh way to tall.needs like another inch or so.and i already damaged the headlining last year. mine hasnt got a cross beam just the diagnol.

whats your headlining made out of?

Stoo
02-01-08, 11:16 PM
somebody has already answered your question

you have the wrong cage for your car! you have a non-sunroof cage, and im presuming you have a sunroof!

R1CH
02-01-08, 11:18 PM
Headlining is just Acoustic carpet, stuck on with spray glue.
Was gonna leave it bare but sounded like a biscuit tin, the car helps a little to 'dampen' the sound abit.
Think RollCentre cages are sold more as competition cages rather than for road cars, so are intended to be fitted to cars without any interior trim, headlining ect ...

brucer
02-01-08, 11:21 PM
yeh thats what i thought.an yeh they did ask if i had a sun roof stu16vt.
it fits past the sunroof then hits the lining.so mite remove it.

ill get it to fit even if it is the death of me.lol.

thanks guys.

Stoo
02-01-08, 11:53 PM
the lining isnt stopping it

the sunroof mech is!

stark
03-01-08, 02:37 AM
Aslong as you havent marked the cage, rollcentre will probably swap you for a sunroof version

R1CH
03-01-08, 06:36 PM
What type of sunroof is it, tilt or tilt and slide ??

brucer
03-01-08, 06:50 PM
tilt and slide.dont worry bout it guys ill sort it.cheers