PDA

View Full Version : Red-Oxide

Dave.
02-01-08, 04:48 PM
went to halfords and spent my xmas vouchers today lol, got myself 2 tins of red-oxide primer and afew brushed, what are the main areas on a nova that should be done, as if ive got it i may aswell use it lol, ive got to do the holes underneath for my skirts, any where else?

Martin
02-01-08, 04:55 PM
check everywere.

Lee
02-01-08, 04:57 PM
Battery tray, chassis legs and boot floor are the main points you want to look at.

Dave.
02-01-08, 05:00 PM
my boot floor and chassis legs are 110% solid, and my battery trays been replaced with another replacement tray, but tis a propper nova one. is it still worth doing them?

Adam
02-01-08, 05:05 PM
Hmm, i dont see what your wanting to do?
Only bare metal will need primer.....(i.e. freshly drilled holes)

I dont get why you're mentioning battery tray etc?

Nick
02-01-08, 05:09 PM
Yer me neither, unless you're bringing some scabbby areas back down to their bare metal and cleaning/repairing. You can't just slap it on lol !

I guess if you REALLY wanted to you could do all your inner arches and re-underseal them. but totally pointless unless they're looking a bit rough round the edges.

Dave.
02-01-08, 05:12 PM
the reason i bought it mainly was because when we fitted my skirts, we just drilled itto the underneath bit of the sill and screwed the skirts into place, and i know theyll rust, so i bought the red oxide to paint the hoels with do it shouldnt rust.

Nick
02-01-08, 05:18 PM
Yer that's worth doing. I then Siliconed aroound the edges of my clips to stop water getting in there from the outside..

Worked a treat, still no rust 3 years later !

Dave.
02-01-08, 05:25 PM
i havent used clips, ive just got some big screws and some big washers and simply drileld a hole underneath and screwed them into place

peester
02-01-08, 06:06 PM
I then Siliconed aroound the edges of my clips to stop water getting in there from the outside..

im getting thru a fair bit of that stuff.. could make implants lol

mowgli
02-01-08, 06:37 PM
the trouble with red oxide is that it is a base paint & needs covering in a top coat to be any good. by design it is porous so that it lets top coats bond well to it, it will also attract water. also, when you wind a screw into a hole, it will take any paint off that has been applied.

you would be better off making sure your sills are ok & the drain holes are clean then apply waxoyl or similar.