PDA

View Full Version : XE Distributor pack

M17BLH
31-12-07, 04:18 PM
Well success has been short lived! I thought id sorted the little 3 cylinder problem I appeared to developed by replacing leads and sparks, and all was ok on its first outing, then today-went to start it up to keep the battery going, and its back to 3 cylinders!

Im guessing the Distributor pack as mentioned before. It has a few little cracks in it, would that effect how it is?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/NovaloadedAgain/Photo-0070.jpg

Dar
31-12-07, 04:30 PM
If the Vauxhall system is a wasted spark system then it won't be the DIS Pak.

M17BLH
31-12-07, 04:33 PM
Thats kinda gone over my head at this time! lol What are the other possibilities, I know its probably going to be a needle in a haystack, I rarely use any of my cars to be honest, and it was a bit of a disappointment when I started it today for it to run like sh*t.

Lee
31-12-07, 04:38 PM
A wasted spark dispack will fire on the exhaust stroke as well as the compresion stroke, basically its to make the sytem less complicated. What dar's saying is if it is a WS pack, you would probably lose 2 cylinders, not just 1, as it fires two cylinders at the same time :)

Is it fluffing up the plugs? might be overfuelling?

lynchy
31-12-07, 04:39 PM
i had exactly the same problem mate. it was a crack in my coil pack. i changed plugs and leads twice in a month lol. grab a 2nd hand one though. i only paid about 30 from trackdaynova but new they were over 130. never had a prob since... well except for me alternator :D

M17BLH
31-12-07, 04:42 PM
Plugs werent too bad when I changed them to be honest, and they have done 10 miles since being changed and are still fine.

It could be running on two cylinders, as my neighbour said it would still drive on 3 (Just) but it actually cuts out at the moment if you try and drive it anywhere.

The coil on the inside of the passenger wing is a bosch type-firstly is that the right one even? But that was my next trail of action, Thanks for the help and advice.

Dar
31-12-07, 04:46 PM
If you can get hold of another DIS Pak then its well worth trying if your not sure if its firing on 2 cyls or not. Why do you have a coil in the engine bay and what the hell is it wired up to?

M17BLH
31-12-07, 04:50 PM
LOL :confused: I have no clue, I looked at it the other day when I was tidying it up, and thought its probably something to do with the fact the car was once a GSi? I dont know, Im relearning it all!

I think the dis pak will be my first port of call at this stage. Would that exlplain the running on two cylinders?

Lee
31-12-07, 04:52 PM
Coil is probably a remenant from the old engine, it has no use in a dispack engine lol.

If its firing on 2 it could well be the dispack, as Dar said :) Pull all the plugs out of the engine one by one and turn it over while a mate holds the plug on an earth. Make sure theyre insulated from the coil lead though, may get a bt of a jolt lol

M17BLH
31-12-07, 04:58 PM
Ah right as I thought. And yep I know just the friend for the job lol

Thanks guys