PDA

View Full Version : Should My Nova Be Pretty Rapid?

novatec
10-07-02, 04:07 PM
This is the spec of my Nova-

Mk1 Shape

1.2 rebuilt head
1.3SR engine block
32/34 Twin-choke weber
2.0 Cortina K&N Air filter
Ram-Air Breather Pipe
Bosch Super 4's
Splitfire Silicone Leads
SR Exhaust manifold and downpipes
Peco exhaust system
Custom made stainless steel back box with 4in tailpipe

Do any of u lads know whether my car should be pretty rapid as at the moment it doesn't seem to pull very well miss acceleration.
I only ask because I'm going to be taking it to be rolling road tuned and hope this will make it feel better.
What do you lot think?

Dicko
10-07-02, 05:34 PM
i bet your timing and fuel jets are a mile out!!

Stuart
10-07-02, 08:28 PM
erm throw away the bosch super 4's and fit NGK R plugs

also bin the 4" tail pipe lol

then it would be nippy but not rapid

mowgli
10-07-02, 09:29 PM
It will probably have about 80bhp so the answer would be not very

get your head ported and stick a decent cam on it, then it might be reasonably fast, but get rid of the bean can exhaust, cos it will only make noise not speed

CP
10-07-02, 09:40 PM
Dicko's right. If you haven't done anything to the ignition timing or the carb jetting it could be way off assuming that all else is OK ie you have got decent compression etc.

Strip it out

Dicko
10-07-02, 11:46 PM
yea id say 80bhp, once its tuned. and yes i agree bosch super 4's r shit, never herd anything different off people that have used them. i always use NGK or champion plugs, never had a prob with either.

BB4's suck arse, heheheh

Rich Dale
11-07-02, 01:58 AM
Put it this way....IT WAS BLOODY QUICK WHEN I HAD IT!

lol

What have you done to my old car Stuart? ;) I'm feeling sorry that you're not enjoying it as much as I did, it seams.

To be honest though, my JP zorst I had fitted did seem a lot better than the Peco for performance.
The Peco was "a lot" better than the standard zorst though.

The timing is probably out as suggested. I had lack of power at one bit.....had the ignition checked and it was out.
Once done, it was a little flyer again :)

As for fuelling, the carb should be fine.....I fully stripped it down and re-conned it, plus it came off an SR so the jets should be the correct ones (I never checked).

Compression should be mint since it was rebuilt a couple of years back, plus it's got the 1.2 head which gives higher compression over standard.

As for power, I'd say as it was when I had it, more like 85.....it wasn't far behind my GTE (when standard)....it's lighter than a GTE remember. Probably a bit down on that without the JP zorst.

What's the K&N looking like? If you ever buy a new one, let me have that one back....I want it to put back on my 'tina!

Rich Dale
11-07-02, 02:01 AM
P.S.

What fuel are you using?

I sometimes found that shite fuel like JET sometimes up-set it.
I get the same with my GTE at times.....one dodgy batch of JET and it doesn't run as nice.
Top up with some decent stuff and it's back to full power again.

Just a thought......I always used JET though when I had it (all local stations are jet except the one Esso at Chap) with only the occasional problem.
My Dad has the same thing with his Corsa.....he topped up with JET the other day when I did and we both had running probs.
It's shite.

novatec
11-07-02, 02:29 AM
I am having fun with the car and no real probs with it and I think as soon as it's rolling tuned it'll be fine but it's interesting to see what people think. As soon as I've had it tuned I'll put a post what the power is.
The car is in mint condition and I'm just modifying it more so it's getting better. The engine bay is very clean as I clean it all the time. The air filter is also spotless and polished up.
Your very welcome to come and see it anytime.
I'm selling the car next August so I don't want to go too far with it. The sound system I'm putting in it will be the best part as that's summat I'm very good at!
I'm getting a Honda Civic next on a M-reg as I like that shape and that will be going all the way!!!!!!

Cheers for all your ideas lads and I think I'll get rid of the Super 4's for NGK. Full stainless custom at ascar going on also!

Dicko
11-07-02, 01:21 PM
put some shell optimax in for a full tank before u get it tuned, get all the sh*t out the engine, or maybe some full 100RON leaded stuf if u can find somewhere that sells it :)

but use the fuel you normally use when u get it tuned or timing will be out when u swop back to other fuel (differnt RON)

Ste_Nova
11-07-02, 01:51 PM
use optimax all the time.... it's a much better fuel

Rich Dale
11-07-02, 11:55 PM
The problem with that is that there's no Shell stations near me :(

Stuart.....are they any you know of around Sheff?

novatec
12-07-02, 01:11 AM
Never knew the fuel I used made a difference. Most garages near me r BP's or Texaco.

Ste_Nova
12-07-02, 09:09 AM
http://www.shellgeostar.com/

shell station finder

Mr_Sukebe
19-07-02, 10:15 PM
Well you could, but it's probably not the best use of cash.

Consider upgrading to a faster car.

ade
19-07-02, 10:57 PM
optimax is excellent - filled up with 2 tanks worth - just driven 300 miles from Glasgow to Stafford via Penrith with an absolute car load of parts (suspension was so low me mud flaps were dragging on the floor :o !) - averaged 80mph and still have 1/2 a tank left!

I usually get 350 on a tank (1.2) - been getting (and this is no bollox) over 100 miles more since using optimax! (average speed 70-80mph motorway driving)

Bring it on!
:D