PDA

View Full Version : Problem - non starter

onephatnova
31-12-07, 01:25 PM
My vauxhall nova TD wouldnt start this morning http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

On the dashboard there are 2 lights (brake & oil) which are glowing despite the key not being inserted. If i release the handbrake then the brake light stops glowing, but nothing happens when i turn the key.

I've check the battery and added some more oil - but still nothing. One idea i thought it cou'ld be the immobilisor, which had somehow stuck "on", although that light isn't "red".

Any ideas...?

craig green
31-12-07, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a bad earth the same as my TD done when it played up.

Renew the earth wire from gearbox to chassis & check earthing connections from battery to chassis. Earth the battery to the engine block with a jump lead & try it again...

Hope that helps.

Mucker_TD
02-01-08, 02:53 PM

Renew the earth wire from gearbox to chassis & check earthing connections from battery to chassis. Earth the battery to the engine block with a jump lead & try it again...

Hope that helps.

Had exactly the same problem with mine, it was the earth on gearbox to chassis.:) :thumb:

onephatnova
03-01-08, 08:16 AM

Hope that helps.

Please could you tell me the length of that earth cable (from gearbox to chassis) & the diameter/type of the connections? So that I can source a replacement. I'm living in Finland now and spare parts aren't as easy to find over here, especially for such a rare model.

Also, where on the gearbox is the cable located & how easy is it to fit? (I love cars, but I've never been very good at fixing them myself)

Thanks in advance :thumb:

onephatnova
03-01-08, 04:55 PM
...ok I've got a new replacement earth cable, but I cant see the old one :confused:

Apperently it should be on the top/right hand side of the gearbox (is that right?) I might have another look tomorrow in daylight.

Do I need to remove all the hoses above the gearbox to be able to get visible access? or is it easier from underneath? or from the side?

If I can't do it myself, then I'll have to try and tow it to a local garage. (Finland's nearest equivilant to the AA/RAC only cover cars that are 10 years old or newer :roll: )