PDA

View Full Version : Stuck with ignition barrel...

Karl M
30-12-07, 11:34 PM
I bought a nova shell without the keys, I need to replace the ignition barrel only as doors and boot locks are flushed I know that you need the key to remove the barrel easily but as i didint have the key i attempted to break the first section and try and improvise with diffrent tools to try and twist to allow to pull out ( No Joy ) so out came the drill made a bit of a mess of the inner ingnition barrel not the outer casing is there any other way of me removing just the ignition barrel or do i need to replace the whole coloum if so what is the best way of removing the shear nut ? any advice would be appriceated cheers Karl...

just vaux trev
30-12-07, 11:41 PM
i have done this b4...
drill out the rounded type nut off the column casing and go scrappers they usually keep the keys in a big bin take the bin and try them all replace rounded nut with nut and bolt job done

gsiboy21
30-12-07, 11:58 PM
just keep playing with it it will come out i had to do mine witch took about 3 hours

just vaux trev
31-12-07, 12:02 AM
bare in mind these fitted are about ?200
i got quoted on an ax gt

Karl M
31-12-07, 11:18 AM
Cheers lads ill give it ago

Karl M
01-01-08, 10:37 PM
Any other sugestions ?

dan23
01-01-08, 11:21 PM
you can remove the metal caseing with the barrel still in i think
look at the caseing it clamps to the colum using a a star shaped bolt if i remember a 8 mm hex socket can be tapped onto the bolt an used to undo it then just swap for another caseing with barrel an key

burgo
01-01-08, 11:36 PM
if you resort to new column i have one with key sitting in my garage. as for the captive nut i just used a big flat head and hammer to turn it

Novasport
02-01-08, 12:03 AM
Just take the steering lock off the column, no need to replace the column.

General Baxter
02-01-08, 05:08 PM
if you resort to new column i have one with key sitting in my garage. as for the captive nut i just used a big flat head and hammer to turn it

what he said, there not that tight anyway :)

if you need a new one, with barrel and key i have one here :thumb: