PDA

View Full Version : Heater packed up.

Steve
30-12-07, 12:10 AM
Only noticed it yesterday as it hasnt been that cold but there is no heat coming into my car now.

Had the engine running till the fan cut in and it was blowing out cold air, checked the bay and all the pipes were hot so is it most likely the matrix packed up or is there something else that it might be? Thermostat??

If it helps its running a 2.0 seh and the guy I got it from had no service history with the donor car, although its recently had new cam belt and water pump.

The nova has only done 34k so would have thought that it would have more life in it.

sr jack
30-12-07, 03:18 AM
this happened to my sr. i checked the clip behind the dash which holds the cable for the heater control. these often snap so check that. you can also disconect the matrix pipes in the engine bay and flush the matrix out with a hose pipe. hope this helps

M17BLH
30-12-07, 03:29 AM
My bet would be the thermostat, had this go on my saxo, cost under a tenner to sort out, and takes no time at all to do.

sr jack
30-12-07, 12:12 PM
iv herd you have to take the cam belt off to get to the thermostat. so i would check were it is before you go steaming into it.

Steve
30-12-07, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know where the thermsotat is on a 2.0 8v cav engine?

Ive got a haynes manual for the nova but nothing for the cavs

sr jack
31-12-07, 12:31 PM
im not sure but my guesses its in the same place as all the 8vs. oh yer im bassed in kent aswell lol

Welsh Dan
31-12-07, 01:06 PM
the hose that connects to the top drivers side of the rad, also connects to the thermostat :).

I'd check that the heater matrix is actually plumbed in.

craig green
31-12-07, 01:10 PM
The stat on an 8v is like an XE one IIRC & not tucked behind the cam belt.

Flush the matrix but IMO you are better off removing it to do a more thorough job. New matrix's are cheap from www.buypartsby.co.uk (http://www.buypartsby.co.uk)

Steve
31-12-07, 06:05 PM
The matrix is plumbed in as it was working last week and even though it isnt working now the pipes that run from it are getting hot, so its either packed up or its seriously blocked.

Cheers for the link craig, i'll give it a flush and if that doesnt do it i'll get a new one, but there a right pain in the ass to fit!

Ernie
01-01-08, 10:18 AM
get on with it steve.You should of fit a new stat when you fit the engine as would of been alot easyer.

Steve
01-01-08, 04:10 PM
Didnt have the time, was supposed to be a weekend job but with the water pump going, the issue with the gearbox etc just didnt have the time to do it.

James P
01-01-08, 04:18 PM
dont think its the thermostat. id do the hose pipe trick. soulds defently like the heater matrix.

Steve
05-01-08, 06:04 PM
Hmm im a bit lost on it now, done the rad flush, flushed it with water loads of times, took it to my dads work and flushed, and back flushed the entire system loads of times. Tried a high pressure hose ...

The bastid still wont warm up, all pipes are piping hot, theres just no hot air coming into the car, when my old nova's matrix packed I knew straight away as it soaked the floor! lol

Any other ideas anyone?

Welsh Dan
05-01-08, 10:06 PM
Did you flush the matrix individually? Try that if you havent, and check the heater controls actually work :).

Lee
05-01-08, 10:12 PM
Theres no way a dud thermostat will affect the heater, unless the engine runs stone cold with it open.. which it doesnt lol

Id say if a flush hasn't worked, try what someone mentioned before me, the cable that connects the temperature lever to the matrix itself. Did you stick the blower on cold recently and then put it back to warm?

sr jack
06-01-08, 02:59 AM
thanx lee i said about the cable behind at the start. i dont no y they didnt check that first coz its the easiest job out of them all lol. oh yer the cable is in the passenger footwell on the side of the plastic housing around the matrix.

Steve
06-01-08, 03:01 AM
cheers for that but the cable was the first thing i checked...

and it still works hence why im so miffed. lol

sr jack
06-01-08, 03:06 AM
hmmmmmmmmm tricky one have you tried giving the cable a tug behind the dash. because mine only has to move a slight bit then i get no heat

Steve
06-01-08, 03:29 AM
Theres no way a dud thermostat will affect the heater, unless the engine runs stone cold with it open.. which it doesnt lol

Id say if a flush hasn't worked, try what someone mentioned before me, the cable that connects the temperature lever to the matrix itself. Did you stick the blower on cold recently and then put it back to warm?
Yep had it on cold then put it on warm and its still the same.. i'll re-check all the heater cables tomorrow as I may have knocked something when I replaced the speedo cable but I doubt it somehow.

*Dave*
07-01-08, 12:15 PM
check the cable for the heater control thats what the problem was with mine,

give it a YANK!!

Steve
07-01-08, 05:47 PM
Cheers for that, yep it was the stupid cable, I somehow must of knocked it when I changed the speedo cable, the reason I said i'd checked the cable before is because the lever that operates the heat was still quite stiff, whereas when my old one didnt work it was loose as the cable had actually snapped.

Nevermind, it needed the system flushing anyway as there was a massive build up of crap in there. The previous owner hadn't serviced it for years apparently. :roll: