PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Rear Springs

Spacemonkey
10-07-02, 09:37 AM
Hi

I just bought -40mm springs for me nova, what is the quickest way to fit the rear ones?

will i just undo the bolt @ the bottom of the shock and jack the car up and the springs can be changed?

Ta

Dicko
10-07-02, 10:30 AM
no dont undo that bolt at the bottom its a bitch!!

look inside trhe boot, u ewill c 2 rubber things, 12 each side of the boot, take them off and u will c 2 nyloc nuts. undo these then jack up the car. the springs shud fall out now. get somebody to hold them in place while u lower the car a litle, make sure the shocker goes back into the hole, then drop all the way and refit the nut!

Breeny
10-07-02, 02:00 PM
:lol: those bottom bolts are ok if you have a breaker bar and lots of wd40... although guess what i did'nt use a breaker bar... ended up having a very sore elbow for a few weeks after slipping of the ratchet and twatting it against the arch oooops :oops:

Spacemonkey
10-07-02, 02:04 PM
So whats the best way?

unscreww Top Bolts in boot and jack the car up

or

Unscrew the bottom bolts and jack the car up

Its looks like my back box is gonna get inthe way will i have to take this off as well

Ste_Nova
10-07-02, 02:21 PM
wd40 the bottoms the day before and use good fitting tools

Dicko
10-07-02, 05:38 PM
why undo the bottoms though? took me about 20 mins all together doin it at the top, all u need it a spanner for the nut and 1 to hold the damper shaft!! very easy

Ste_Nova
10-07-02, 06:02 PM
not in a saloon it's not

Dicko
10-07-02, 06:22 PM
i have no idea about that, u never said a saloon b4 :P

ade
12-07-02, 12:10 AM
Id say undo and remove the nuts in the boot space theyre easier to get to and aint rusted/stuck. Once lose, losen rear wheel nuts, jack up car and support both sides on axle mounts - once up, remove the wheels (gives you better access and clearence to pull the rear suspension down), grab the rear beam and pull it down, the shocks will come through the holes in the boot space, then grab each spring and pull it out. You'll see a rubber mount where the spring sits (on the underside of the car), simply put the new spring in place in the rubber mount, guide the shock absorber back through its hole and pop the nut on the top its top in the boot. Do the same for the other side. Then put wheels back on, check springs are still in the right places, lower car, tighten in nuts on wheels, tighten up nuts on shocks and bobs yer aunties live in lover!

If youre replacing just the springs, it'll drop straight away but if youre using standard shocks you'll not get as good a look and the ride wont be as good as if u got the correct shocks aswell (uprated shortened) - you'll also wear them out quicker.

Ade

Dicko
12-07-02, 12:17 AM
i found it easier to keep the wheels on, it pulls the axle down out the way for you :)

SpArKySR
12-07-02, 01:08 AM
way i did it took bout 5mins per spring.

wd40 the bottom bolt and leave for a bit, not long though, i just must be lucky :D

undo it, jack the car up, use some sort of bar to lever down the axle, then pop the spring out. put the new spring in, makin sure it ligns up proper, then release the axle. lower a bit, then pull the damper down and bolt up. then lower completely. 5mins, theres several ways of doin it, thats the way i did it, and i am usually awful at that sort of thing :(

the front were a different matter :( about a day to do them, but, i didnt have a swan neck, so spent halve the day scoutin about for one of them, lol

Ste_Nova
12-07-02, 09:11 AM
just air gun the fronts