PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers

dean_uk
10-07-02, 09:35 AM
Alright guys, im buying my first Nova in a few weeks but wondered what spoiler i should stick on the back of it. Ive seen a few on the roads and alot have a simple small thing on the back...where can i one, or another cheap spoiler, but needs to be cheap, this insurance is taking outta me.

djp_y2k
10-07-02, 10:34 AM
If you want a cheap and easy one get a nova gte spoiler and then mount an AX gt spoiler on it.

Its common but effective.

locky
10-07-02, 04:55 PM
S**o spoilers also mount onto the gte spoiler, mine does neway!!

Ric 16v
10-07-02, 06:39 PM
the standard GSi one is the best, AX gt ones are shit

dean_uk
10-07-02, 07:02 PM
So how would i go about fitting one? is it a quick 10 min job or one where i would be there for hours? :wink:

dean_uk
10-07-02, 07:05 PM
So how would i go about fitting one? is it a quick 10 min job or one where i would be there for hours? :wink:

ade
12-07-02, 01:13 PM
depends on wot u go for. GSi spoiler is "fairly" straight fwd. U need to carefully measure it up (there are 2 bolts that go through the hatch) so it sits flush with the roof - if its raised too much, it may foul on the roof when open. The bolts are about a 30deg angle when the spoiler he held horizontal - so's your hatch so u have to account for that too. Best way is to get someone to ghold it in line with the roof and roughly measure the angle for drilling that way.

As well as this, the squirter at the top of the hatch is smaller on those cars fitted with a spoiler (so I;ve been told) so you will have to mod it a little. Dont be tempted to grind it down though cos it'll leak!

U need to drill through the 2 skins in the hatch to make the 2 holes that the bolts to through (outer and inner hatch skin) and watch out for the washer tube - catch it and it'll leak!

Once drilled, seal the holes with rust inhibitor/primer and then bolt on spoiler. U may wish to back the spoiler with foam double sided tape to stop it rattling about (damaging your hatch coz the spoiler can be heavy)

Remember to paint it 1st though!

:D

dean_uk
12-07-02, 03:21 PM
thanks ade, i might try it, the only thing that is worrying me is all that angle stuff and doing the actual drilling, from past experience i get the feeling it wont come out as well as i might expect it too lol.

ade
13-07-02, 09:36 AM
dont worry - its easy - as long as you put a small layer of masking tape over the intended area and create a centre punch hole for the drill to guide into (just get a nail and hit the centre of the drill area with a hammer!) - then use a slowish speed on the drill you'll be fine. Get a m8 to help you assess the angle - 4 eyes are beter than 1.

If u mess the angle up a bit dont worry cos u can always file the holes a little to make it fit then just fit a little bigger washer!

I'm fitting mine in a few weeks with a website to go live showing all me mode in September - If u can hopld off till then take a look

:D

Doc
15-07-02, 10:10 AM
Does that mean you've only got one eye then Ade??? LOL :lol:

ade
15-07-02, 12:46 PM
lol!

No but I wear glasses so have 4 eyes already - another 2 always help.

:o :D