PDA

View Full Version : Block honeing

Dexter
29-12-07, 11:42 AM
Was reading a thread a short while back about a lad doing a rebuild on his GTE. Someone mentioned block honeing.

What is it? is it just a case of skimming the head?
Or is it to do with the bore patterns?

Reason i ask is in the new year i will be rebuilding mine and i want to get as many details as possible before i start it.
Dex

brucer
29-12-07, 11:44 AM
yeh its inside the bore.the thing i've got can be used on a drill.and roughens up the surface so the rings have a chance to bed in properly.

think ive seen somewhere that its abput 35pound to have done.

Dexter
29-12-07, 11:49 AM
Is that ?35 for all the bores? - What sort of places do it?
I thought that the bores had to have an accurate pattern as such.

brucer
29-12-07, 11:55 AM
no i dont think an actual pattern.but it gives a criss cross effect. alocal engineer should be able to do it. or try places like morespeed performance and the like.to be honest you wouldnt want to send your block away for that.

if all else fails, haynes manuals say to use some emery paper.wich has been advised against but probably do-able. where are you located?

Dexter
29-12-07, 11:58 AM
Well im usually in leeds matey but i live in blackpool as well have 2 addresses.

If the bores are already criss crossed would i need to re-do them?

brucer
29-12-07, 12:08 PM
well mine were done because i fited new rings. u planning on doing that?

im not sure bout them still being criss crossed.maybe someone else can help shed some light.

ive been onto yell.com and searched for some places for you.
take a look
http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do?scrambleSeed=41314883&keywords=automotive+engineers&companyName=&location=LEEDS%2C+WEST+YORKSHIRE&searchType=advance&broaderLocation=&clarifyIndex=2&ooa=&M=0&ssm=1&rad=&lCOption
32=Engine+Reconditioning

maybe phone them and see if they do it.most places like that would because it is a small process.an tbh takes less than 5 mins.

Dexter
29-12-07, 12:12 PM
ok brilliant mate thanks for your help
and yes i want to fit new rings replace shells. The works!

Thanks again mate

coombsey
29-12-07, 12:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-DRAPER-CYLINDER-HONE-51-177mm-HONING-TOOL-low-P-P_W0QQitemZ220184370352QQihZ012QQcategoryZ30917QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m 118
i did mine myself borrowed one of these from a mate didnt take long either was told to use lots of wd40 tho

brucer
29-12-07, 08:54 PM
yeh lots of wd 40 an make sure that the hone dont come out the top or the bottom of the block.because the hone tool will shatter.

Nick
29-12-07, 09:28 PM
If you're rebuilding and the cylinders are in good condition with no nasty signs of wear, then just have the Block honed.

If there are lips or excessive wear you may be better off having it re-bored.

Dexter
29-12-07, 09:58 PM
Well its done 60K genuine and its had two owners from new the last being a 60Yr old lady and the first a 40yr old bloke ( i know as they both lived next door to each other) And when i first drove it back to leeds it was coked up to ****. Needed a good run by the time i got to leeds it ran much much better

Stuart
30-12-07, 09:55 AM
ime a car that isnt revved hard, even having had an easy life, WILL need a rebore as the top of the bore will not have had the piston belting up and down that fast so it wont be run in right etc..

basically with ANY rebuild, you must inspect everything, measure it etc to ensure its all correct before changing parts for hte hell of it/putting crap back in etc.