PDA

View Full Version : cav mk3 1.6i 8v engine

SpArKySR
09-07-02, 11:47 PM
is it the same as the nova gte engine? or does it produce the same 100bHP

cheers

Dicko
10-07-02, 01:22 AM
just get a nova gte lump, they go for ?50-?100 now with a gearbox, if u get the cav engine u will get a cav box which is wide ratio

SpArKySR
10-07-02, 01:33 AM
lol, no i aint plannin on doin it. but someone else on here is, and im convinced that the cav engine is slow as shit, produces like 70 sumthin brake. but when i said this, he completely shot me down as if i was stupid.

i asked this question on novaload, RB and MIG, and i aint had an answer yet. lol

Ste_Nova
10-07-02, 09:10 AM
1.6i 8v X16SZ 71 bhp ??
1.6i 8v C16NZ 75 bhp single point injection

Matt Finary
10-07-02, 03:08 PM
My brothers 1.6 8V astra mark 2 Small block is 82bhp standard. so i guess there prob the same.
Matt 8)

Dicko
10-07-02, 05:10 PM
nope, the astra is the sv engine, same bottom end but different head and not injection. i think the cav engine was about 98bhp? but not 100% sure, might b the same thing but looses a little becuz it has a different exhaust to the nova

Rich Dale
11-07-02, 01:44 AM
The MKIII Cav also uses the none-injection "SV"
I'm pretty sure that's rated with the same 82bhp as the Astra.
Not sure though.

Stokie_Dave
13-07-02, 01:22 PM
I think cav 1.6i engines are 90 brake

barnes
14-07-02, 05:56 PM
if its the mutli point cav 1600 8v engine it is the dizzyless one same as the later gsi engine and has the same bhp

mates mother has this engine in her mk3 astra and the manual says its 101bhp so the cav will be the same

hey sparks, u let someone on ere shoot you down??? come on they all 15 year old kids, what they know anyway?

"oh, how do you change the interior light coz mine has broken? do i need sockets or should i book it into courtenay?"

cornish
14-07-02, 07:33 PM
"oh, how do you change the interior light coz mine has broken? do i need sockets or should i book it into courtenay?"

LMAO :lol:

match
15-07-02, 09:39 AM
its me putting in the 1600 cav motor, and they are the same 100 bhp as the gte motor.
i did alot of work before re-building it to find out if they were the same to work out wether it was worth doing or not.
seen as it is exactly the same thought it was worth while doing it.

sparky - u werent shot down by a 15 year old - just some1 that knows wot they r on about that has some technical knowledge of vauxhall engines

another bit of knowledge sum 1 mite wanna know and have use 4

if you put a 1300sr crank in a 1200 nova, swap the heads over.
you get 9 cc more than a standard 1400 nova!! this is cos te diameter of the pistons in the 1.2 are slightly larger than the 1.4 pistons
and it works before some1 says it dont cos i already built 1 and only shanned off putting it in cos i got given the 1600 so its left sat in ma garage as a spare until i blow another motor ne way.

barnes
15-07-02, 02:40 PM
some technical knowledge?? what you done phoned courtenay at ?18 quid an hour?

that 1200 hundred and blah blah blah to create 1401cc is a well old one mate, nobodys ever heard that one before.

congratulations, youve earned a vote barnes sun strip

Rich Dale
15-07-02, 09:12 PM
lol

It's true though.....most of us know that one already...and have done for quite a few years.

Thanks for pointing it out mind ;) (for the ones who didn't already know)

match
15-07-02, 11:19 PM
as for havin some technical knowlege of the bloody engines i have spent a fcuk load of hours stripping down the engine and re-building it. in doing so i have checked all the dimensions (usin digital verniers), compression ratios etc and compared them all with the absolutly fooked gte motor ma mate has in his garage.

thus making me recon they are exactly the same. now cylinder heads have also been swapped and valve seats been re-cut much finer (more power) so there really is no difference. all the pulleys have also been swapped to nova 1s so i could use my existing vernier pulley.

the only difference is that when ma insurance co. check the engine number it comes up as a cav. engine and not a gte 1.

due to their original cock up with the quote i only pay:-

?1247 third party fire and theft

and thats at 18, with 3 points, a claim for the blokes wall i put ma first nova through and a write off.

so i really would be very stupid to argue at a price like that for a gte. i have also fitted a piper cam and once run in the twin 40's are gettin slapped on with the fassit fuel pump etc.

its not no bodge job like loadsa fools i know have done. i spent ages and alot of cash sorting it out including seam welding ma engine bay, re-newing ma steering rack, track rod ends, bottom ball joints, uprating ma brakes and o'course completely rebuilding the engine from scratch.
all the work i have done on ma own - except the welding which ma dad did 4 me.

so as 4 having some knowledge i would say i was fairly confident in working on any nova u put in front of me, i also did ma mates 1400 sri conversion, and worked wi another mate to do a 2l conversion. so workin on cars is really pretty straight forward once u done a few. i re-build ma motorcross bikes maself but thats just a hobby wen they need a rebuild.

match
15-07-02, 11:25 PM
oh and as for usin courtnay, i wouldnt believe ne thing they say or waste ma money with then. same goes for regal and vauxhall as well.
companies like these are only ne good if u got thousands of pounds to give them for a conversion.
rang courtnay to ask about best gearbox to stick on it and they couldnt even tell me wether the gte box would fit on the side of the engine - they advised usin a standard cav 1 cos it was meant 4 the enhine....

bollox - just went out and bought a gte close ratio jobee and its done the trick quite nicely