PDA

View Full Version : What age XE?

M17BLH
28-12-07, 05:45 PM
Can you tell what model or age my engine is just by looking at it?

Still running rough and under load sounds choked, gona do the sparks tomorrow firstly

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/NovaloadedAgain/Photo-0069.jpg

coombsey
28-12-07, 06:06 PM
try changing the dispac lynchy had same problem his was running on three cylinders, on tick over it looked like it was running ok

M17BLH
28-12-07, 06:29 PM
Yeah it sounds ok on tick over, apart from when its warm its revving at about 2000rpm! whats the dispac-Distributor pack? is the picture below what were talking about? Ta, also where there appears to be a blanking plate, Ive seen some XE's with conventional distributors?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v699/NovaloadedAgain/dispac2.jpg

coombsey
28-12-07, 06:31 PM
yes

M17BLH
28-12-07, 06:38 PM
Oh right ok mate, will clean it up tomorrow first, and if unsuccessful I will replace it! any other suggestions as to the poor running?

coombsey
28-12-07, 06:50 PM
he replaced his plugs and leads took plugs out one was silver like brand new three were black

lynchy
28-12-07, 07:08 PM
yeh mine was cracked bud. ran like a piece of ****e lol if i were you i'd change the plugs, leads and the coil but get a 2nd hand one. i only paid 30 quid i think and new they were like 140 :eek: thanks to coombsey its all sound now... wel apart from my alternator which i picked up today btw :D

M17BLH
28-12-07, 07:15 PM
Ah right ok, well I will definately have a proper fiddle tomorrow. The leads seem very tight also, Can imagine the leads have broke down abit overtime.

Hopefully wont have to do the dispack yet!

Thanks lads :thumb:

AlanH
29-12-07, 08:12 PM
remove your oil cap, theres a small circle cast onto the head (or fastener holding the cam in?) this will have 2 numbers cast inside e.g.89, this is the year of the engine. not always accurate as could have been changed but usually a good indication

M17BLH
30-12-07, 03:21 AM
Thanks Alan

Well just a little update- I replaced the leads and sparks today, Seemed like the wrong lead had been used for spark plug 4-It had the usual coil plug instead-Although it still works, it was tight against the block towards the dispac, and it had obviously broken down.

So courtesy of my new halfords trade pass I got all the parts for 22 quid! Result :D :thumb:

Cars working a treat again! Will add some pics of the driveshafts up when I get a chance.

Have also been offered a set of shafts to replace these if they are knackered, so again....Result!